Chapter 2

----

Rose jumps into the box, looking down at the boy. He was tall with short, dark hair and a curious look on his face. His eyes meet Rose's and his face contorts into a grin as he whispers, "Woah."

"Welcome to the glade, greenie," She smirks, holding out her arm. The boy grabs onto her arm, letting her help him out. Like every other month, she gives him a tour of the maze, finishing in the tree house her and Alby made when they first arrived.

"So that's the glade," She shrugs, swinging her legs off the side of the structure.

"What's out there?" He asks, nodding to the Maze doors.

"We have a bonfire tomorrow, which will be exciting," She says, changing the subject.

"What is out there?" He repeats, firmly. Normally, the greenies would get excited by the bonfire and totally forget about that question but this one was different. He was curious, he asked many questions and wanted to know the answers.

"I don't know," She sighs, truthfully.

"You don't know?"

"No," She shakes her head then laughs, sadly, "I've lived here for a year and no one has told me what's out there."

"Why?"

"Alby says it's to protect me," She says, rolling her eyes.

"Protect you?" He scoffs.

"I know right," She exclaims, "I'm not a child."

"Then tell him that."

"Tell him what?"

"That you are not a child," He turns to sit next to her, eagerly, "That you want to be one of those people that go into the maze... what are they called?"

"Runners?"

"Yeah those," Minho shrugs, "It wont hurt to just ask."

"Ok, sure," She nods.

----

"Please?!" Rose begs, tugging at Alby's sleeve.

"No, no, no and no," He replies, angry that she would even suggest such a thing.

"Why? I mean the others get to do it," She argues.

"Rose, I do not care how much you argue, I am not letting you out there. You are too young."

"Come on, Alby. I can protect myself; I'm not a child."

"Well stop whining like one," Alby retorts then sighs, "Look Rose, I don't want you to go in there... because I have no idea what I would do if something happens to you."

Now this catches Rose off guard, "Alby... I'll be fine. I can protect myself." She repeats.

She is met with silence until he whispers, "Fine."

"What?"

"You can do it," He repeats, a bit more loudly this time, "But you will have double the training, Plus you will always be running with someone... at all time."

Rose didn't like having so many rules surrounding her at all time but she knew this was her only chance to become a runner and she wasn't going to screw it up, "Ok."