Chapter 10 | Not that basic

22 May 2021

More than half of countries has performed. Right now, we're looking at a blond guy singing a very fun song, playing a ukulele full of gemstones and a giant middle finger dancing on the stage. That's the tackiness Marsia is talking about. That's the fun Eurovision we all know and love. I love it. To be honest, tonight I've heard some songs that are actually decent and it's weird. I'm not used to that.

"That's...no words to describe it." Marsia is looking deadly at the TV.

Vana lays back in frustration. "Where's Italy?"

"Right across Ionian Sea." I say trying to joke and kind off laughing with my own joke.

Marsia glares at me. "Bad one."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't feel hate." I say referring to the song.

The next song is about to start and it's from Finland. From the first notes playing I'm left with my mouth open. It's a rock song reminding a lot of Linking Park style. I love it. Rock is Eurovsion? Very rare. Very logical that it's coming from Finland though. I guess I found my favorite song.

"Love it. Want them to win."

Marsia nods at me meaning she's agreeing and also, the lack of commenting means that she's actually surprised that she likes something. "I mean it's good for what it is."

Vana looks at us. "Wait until you see Italy."

"I find it hard that something is going to top that."

Rock is probably my favorite music genre. It's definitely not the only music I listen to but it's my favorite and as I said, rock in this show is rare, so I don't think I'm going to like something more, just because Vana thinks the singer is pretty.

24 August 2020

Damiano and I had been walking around the island for almost 2 hours. Time was passing by so fast when I was with him. We had talked about so many things. I loved his point of view in many subjects, and we saw eye to eye to many things. Meeting people with similar opinions can be very hard. Especially, I loved how he talked about genders and sexuality and stereotypes that society is forcing on us. He told me that he uses make up which I found incredible because it's so unconventional and shows both his effort to break those stereotypes and that he's confident in himself that just doesn't care about anyone's else opinion. He seemed to have great respect of women, which is also rare in the modern patriarchal society. I could talk to him for hours and feel like I'd been only some minutes. The sun was almost gone, and we were walking by the beach. The island wasn't big so we had pretty much gone everywhere we could.

He was more confident in answering to my questions about their music too. He told me how they formed the band and how he finds the inspiration to write songs. And how he knew that he wanted to do that since he was 16. I found incredible that he was so sure what he wanted to do at such a young age. I told him that I know how to play the piano, I hadn't done a lesson since I was in high school, but I still knew. We didn't spend much time on that subject because even though he was more open to the conversation, it still felt like he felt awkward. I still couldn't understand why. Maybe it was a stressful subject. Trying to achieve your dream can be stressful, especially if it's something that hard. Sadly, most musician never make it, although from what I gathered, I figured out that they did make a living out of it.

The whole day turned out to feel a lot like a date which to be honest I was scared of because it might made me feel weird, but it really didn't. After our long walk we spent some time sitting on the beach and then we went for dinner. There was an awkward and funny moment when he didn't know if he should offer to pay for dinner, since it could come out as a sexist behavior that men must always pay the check. I told him I'd be fine only if he'd let me pay for the drinks after. And so it happened, after we ate, we decided to go for a drink. We went to the bar that we had gone the other night but this time we decided to sit on a table outside. The atmosphere was pretty much like last time. The light was low mostly coming from the candles and I must admit that he looked so good under the candlelight. He was wearing a see-thought black shirt that I found so sexy, and his tattoos were visible. I asked him about them, and he spent some time talking to me about it. He also told me that he wants more but I could figure that out. When someone has that many, they definitely want more.