LVI. Out of Proportion

Start from the beginning

I shrugged, "Yeah. Kind of." If you consider low-key threatening and one-up-ing each other hanging out.

"I thought you...hated him."

I look at Eli, "What made you think that?" Was I that obvious?

"Well, your sarcastic comments and dirty looks, or was I reading into that too much?"

Eli is spot on.

"You're reading into it too much," I said. "Seth and I are...friends." I almost wanted to throw up saying that, but I have to practice and learn how to make it sound believable.

"Oh, friends." There is an obvious discomfort in Eli's voice, one which I can't ignore.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing." He stands up and hides his hands, "I'm- nothing."

I followed his lead, "Nothing sounds like something and you better spill that something Eli because you know better than to hide something behind nothing with me." I hope that made some sense.

"I'm just surprised because you never told me that you and Seth are friends."

I folded my arms, "Am I supposed to tell you who I'm friends with?"

"Just thought it might be nice to know."

"Nice to know or nice to keep track?"

"Is there a difference?"

"There may be now."

This type of conversation is not how I wanted to start my Spring Break. Not how I want to spend what's supposed to be a relaxing week.

"Alright." He holds his hands above his head, "No. Nope. I'm not going to do it."

"Do what?"

"You know what I mean."

"No. Elijah. You're not making any sense." And he better explain it to me now because we both know, I never use his full name.

Eli takes a deep breath, "I don't like it."

"You don't like it?"

"I don't like it that you're hanging out with Seth."

"What?" There's a smile on my face, but it's more of a you-are-kidding me type of smile.

"Yeah. I don't like it."

"You don't like it?" I'm attempting to wrap my mind around his statement. "Why?"

"He gives me uncomfortable vibes."

"Uncomfortable vibes?"

He crosses his arms, something he rarely does, "You know I thought I made it clear that I don't feel comfortable seeing you together."

"When did you make that point?"

He shrugs, "I don't know. Maybe when I asked him to stop eye fucking my girlfriend."

I'm conflicted.

Am I upset?

Or am I turned on?

"Look, we were just hanging out."

He takes a step closer, "Really?"

"Nothing is going on and you're blowing things out of proportion."

"I am blowing things out of proportion?"

I let out a small chuckle, "Did I stutter?"

Eli sniffs lightly before he turns his back on me to gather some air.