1. Misery

Welcome to the book!

Note:- It starts after Anisha's death and Kairav's arrest for it. Abhimanyu's surgery is pending.

..........

Aahhhhhhhhhhh!'

A screams of a man rang clearly. The two policemen standing guard winced as they heard it. Inside was the grandson of a very powerful man- Manish Goenka. However, the people who had filed a case against him were not ordinary people either. Still, the brutal beating bought goosebumps even to the people who saw this every day.

After a few minutes, a policeman stepped out. They both saluted the man and asked him if Kairav Goenka confessed his crimes.

Policeman: Kahan confess kiya? Sala itna maara pr ye toh jaise kuch samajh hi nahi raha hai....

His juniors were confused. They told him that they had enquired about Kairav. His reputation was amazing. Everyone referred to him a gentleman and there was no evidence that he caused the death of the Birla daughter, Anisha, his fiancé.

Policeman: Arey charges chote nahi hai...murder ke hai...aur phir Birlas ka pressure to tum jaante hi ho...

He went to his cabin and called the person who was eagerly waiting for his call.

Mahima: Kaam hua?

Policeman: Nahi Mrs Birla, Kairav Goenka kuch confess nahi kr rahe...

Mahima: I don't care! Usse tum kitna bhi maaro, kaise bhi kuch bhi karo- I want that murderer punished anyhow!

She ended the call and thus began another round of torture for the poor, parent-less boy.

..........

Akshara Birla sat torn in the garden. On one side was her innocent brother and on other side was her husband. She knew Anisha was wrong but now, no one would hear her unless she talked with proof. Everyone at Birla house was mad at her brother and some of it tumbled down on her but she could not abandon him either.

Akshara: Jo hua usse mai nahi badal skti, pr bhai ko innocent mai proof krke rahungi....pr usse bhi pehle. Abhimanyu ki kl surgery hai...uski life ka sawal hai. Mujhe usse convince krna hi hoga ki vo surgery krwa le..

She wiped her tears and stood up with a resolve in her eyes. Her husband was the most caring and loving person she knew. She vowed that nothing with snatch away his first love- his passion for saving lives from him and her brother won't get punished for crimes he did not do either. They both were right in their space and she will make sure she balances her role in both.

She went to their room and saw Abhimanyu sitting on the floor. He looked broken and held something in his hands. Upon closer look, she realised it was a bunch of rakhis- undoubtedly from Anisha. She went and sat next to him.

Akshara: Abhi?

She whispered softly. Her touch bought some peace to him. He looked at her and his red empty eyes broke her too. He hugged her close and cried. He cried for he felt failed as a brother; for he lost his childhood companion- his sister.

Abhimanyu: Akshu? Anisha! I- I failed to protect her. She.. She was so young. She did not deserve this....usse...

His words became lost as he pressed his face in the space between her neck and kept crying. She kept running her fingers through his hair. Eventually when he calmed down, she tried to approach the subject of his surgery.

Despite her reasoning and begging, Abhimanyu did not respond and went to sleep. Feeling dejected, she went downstairs and saw the family sitting in the hall. Sleep was away from them all- the death of their daughter haunting them. She went downstairs and met angry looks from some people. Still, she kept her calm and folded her hands.