Kiriko• Yours Again (Pt. 2)

(SFW - Angst/Fluff)

     At first you lied awake at night, sleeping near a complete stranger who already proved they could take your life if they truly wanted to. But after the first couple nights of Kiriko passing out only moments after turning the lights out with you right there, you grew comfortable enough to let yourself rest. It was the first small sign of trust you demonstrated towards her, and the rest surely shown through in your performance afterward.
     "So, let's say hypothetically, we go get a midnight snack after this?" Kiriko whispered in your direction behind the comfort of cover.
     "Wait let me guess, you want to go to that breakfast diner again?" The girl huffed and stuck her tongue out in a teasing manner. "Tell you what, get us both out of here without a scratch and we'll go."
     "As I always do." She replied with a challenging smirk. The operation was simple, busting a small Hashimoto meetup the two of you had heard of taking place from the other night. There was nothing new that the two of you hadn't faced with this clan, they had yet to really get a grip on how to answer to your attacks, all while you and Kiriko learned continuously how to work better together and bounce your tricks off of each other. It had only taken a few weeks for you both to get a feel for the other's moves and fighting style while at first you would both bump into each other and almost get the other hurt or worse. Some practice outside of pursuing the Hashimoto and the two of you were practically unstoppable.
     As Kiriko had wiped the remaining two soldiers, you stopped to pick up a phone from the ground. The screen was cracked, but it still worked fine. You were able to get into the device by using the thumbprint of one of the unconscious thugs on the ground, opening to the call log screen once unlocked.
     "Hey, are you okay?" You heard Kiriko quietly get your attention as she walked up beside you. Having seen an outgoing call to Talon initiatives had caused your form to stiffen, a scowl etched into your features as your grip on the phone tightened. You only relaxed a bit at hearing your partner's voice, a little more so when you felt her hand rest on your shoulder.
     "I'm bringing this with me so I can try to figure out how I can maybe listen to this call back." Kiriko reached out to gently take the phone from your hands.
     "I'll help, but first... you happen to have any scratches on you?" Her voice sounded hopeful as she grinned, the phone screen hidden in her chest. It helped you to relax a bit more, especially at the excitement that bubbled out a bit in her tone.
     "We can go eat." You offered a small smile at her quiet celebration, her grin only growing wider as she handed the phone back to you. You took one final quick glance down at the device, a tinge of anger returning to your chest. However, you pushed it aside in the moment and pocketed the phone to follow behind Kiriko as she drug you along to a breakfast eatery.

     Before you had only seen the fox spirit in the midst of the more intense fights with the Hashimoto, but it had gotten to the point where you started waking up with the glowing fox nestled atop your chest. It had been startling at first, but it was something you got used to, especially when you moved to falling asleep in Kiriko's bed with her. At first you had just fallen asleep there accidentally after a movie, but when it started to become more frequent it would just become normal. You'd stay warm between Kiriko and her glowing fox spirit animal of sorts, especially when you started to realize that they were both cuddly in their sleep.
     Waking up with a snout in your face was what you were used to now, but waking up with messy green hair in your face was slightly new. It seemed each night Kiriko would sleep closer and closer to you, and you'd swear that the fox seemed jealous of it at times. You questioned it the first night it had happened, turning the girl into a blushing mess as she stammered out countless apologies. You had let it go after that as it seemed she just slept that way now that she was comfortable around you. It might've also been the fact that you were beginning to openly trust her at that point, surely that was comforting in some way.
     It was now odd if you woke up without Kiriko on top of you, and you hated to admit that you didn't like it when that happened. So much so in fact that you would start pulling her into yourself on mornings when you woke up apart. It woke Kiriko up a few times when this happened, but she didn't tell you that in case you stopped doing it. There was once when she woke before you, purposely pulling herself away from you just so she could feel you pull her back in when you woke by yourself. She was sure you'd feel her heartbeat through her back when you did just that, but if you did you didn't mention it to her.