Kiriko• Yours Again (Pt. 1)

(SFW - Angst/Fluff)

"I just don't see how it's practical."
"And handling a semi-automatic in public is?" Your father huffed at your mothers comeback. "Bring your right arm closer in to your chest, dear." With a gentle push she helped you position your arm properly, the sword growing heavy in your grip as you had been holding it up for so long. Not to mention the blade was almost as long as you were tall, being so young.
"If something were to happen,"
"Please, let us have this." Your mother closed her eyes in frustration, not giving your father even a glance in his direction.
"I have to go. Duty calls." He grumbled, opening his work phone as he stepped out of the room. Overwatch was demanding, always needing his assistance in something. You missed him, but he promised he continue teaching you the ways of what he called a 'true soldier' whenever he was around. Your mother didn't quite like it, teaching you the ways of the sword and meditation instead so you could learn to be at peace with your mind and body. Father taught you to mask those things, but you figured they went hand in hand, taking teachings from both parents gratefully.
Your father was almost out the door when your mother finally called out to him again. "Be careful."
"I'll be back in a week." Neither you or your mother knew exactly where he'd be off to, most of his work was confidential in the home.
"Let's set the sword aside, practice some mindfulness, yeah?" Your mother suggested once your father had left. You gratefully set the sword onto the ground, excitedly agreeing to her proposal.

-

The masks that Talon soldiers wore were quite unsettling in and of themselves, but even more so at your age when they stood over your lifeless mother. Your father had been away for two days when Talon stormed through your small town in Japan. They seemed to be looking for something or someone, barging in homes and killing anyone who got in their way. Your mother didn't go down without a fight, knowing the information the soldiers could pull from your house with your father a member of Overwatch.
There were too many of them by the sounds of things, you had been hidden away, forced to listen to the sobs of pain and protest from your mother before she finally went quiet. The soldiers had found you at some point, but you were grateful that they just drug you out of the home and to the lawn as they desecrated the building for any ounce of information they could find.
Your father arrived with an army of sorts of Overwatch soldiers, but by that time Talon was already going through the nearby city. He stayed behind with you as the soldiers of his team marched forward in pursuit, holding you by the shoulders trying desperately to get you to tell him what had happened, but you were still in a state of shock.

-

Overwatch had stopped the Talon attack in the city, but it was still considered a loss, whatever they were looking for, they had got and now held the upper hand in the war. "What are you doing with mom's sword?" You asked quietly as you caught your father carrying the weapon towards the front door. It had been a week since the massacre and your father had been working tirelessly to fix up the house again while trying to take care of your and your emotional state as well. He was irritable.
"I'm getting rid of it." The words struck a deep pain in your chest as you jumped off of the couch.
"You can't get rid of it!"
"What your mother taught you means nothing! Did it help her? No, she's dead now because of it, and you will be too if you hold on to anything she taught you!" He snapped, anger visible in his features but despair buried further down. From that point forward you hadn't gotten along very well with him. That night was the first and only time you had ever seen him cry.
He had tried his best to try and push your mother's teachings from your mind, replacing them with his own on how to behave and fight like a soldier. He taught you how to fire a gun, something your mother never allowed, taught you to how to snap a neck and hold someone in a headlock, he taught you how to stand strong and keep your eyes void of all emotion. Emotion showed vulnerability and weakness. Even with your rocky relationship with him, you held onto his teachings, only you never let go of those from your mother either, struggling when the two would conflict with each other.
You had left home midnight of your eighteenth birthday with nothing but a bag of water and clothes, one of your father's guns, dual katana blades, and a vengeance in your heart for Talon. But you weren't stupid enough to waltz right into Talon headquarters and pick a fight, instead you started small. There were numerous little gangs with much weaker soldiers who had just a sliver of connection with your main target. That was more that enough motivation for you to wipe them out entirely.

-

You had never been to Kanezaka before, it was a rather small town, smaller than a lot of the others you've been in and you had been in a lot, hopping from place to place playing vigilante. There had been theories being thrown around that the Hashimoto may have been in cahoots with Talon a little bit. The suspicion was enough for you to track them down, leading you to Kanezaka. You wasted no time in preparing once you had arrived, trying to gather information from the townsfolk and news sources.
During the day you hadn't been able to see any of the defining masks that you had seen all over the news since you had shown up in town. However, once night had fallen, the town seemed to be crawling with them. There had been one here and there off by themselves that you easily picked off. You went for your first group target later in the night, finding a few of the men crowding around a storage truck. Some were leaning against the side talking while others were carrying boxes out from a store front and into the back of the truck.
"Do you guys have a warrant from Talon to be here by chance?" You called out as you approached the group. They all spun around quickly at attention, not seeming too bothered by your presence at first.
"This doesn't concern you, miss. Get lost and we won't hurt you." One of the masked men growled, his body language portraying a boredom. Only when you drew your blades did they stiffen.
"I believe I asked a question." The men fumbled to get their guns at the ready before a strange blue mist of sorts seemed to flash into existence between you and the Hashimoto members. It took you off guard for a split second, interrupting your focus. When your eyes set ahead of you again you noticed some girl doing your job for you. She was quick and hard to pinpoint between the soldiers before her focus set on you. You caught her eye just as she lunged towards you, your swords crossing and stopping the blade of her knife to get any closer to you.
"Who are you? Are you with them?" Her gaze was fierce and her strength was rather shocking as she pushed against your blades.
"I wouldn't be caught dead working with them." You growled, offended at her accusation which gave you the extra push of adrenaline needed to push the girl off of you, though it seemed your answer gave her reason to give up against you. You pointed the tip of one of your katanas at her while she sheathed the knife in her hand. "Who are you? Why are you getting in my way?" You asked through grit teeth, utterly annoyed by her presence.
"I've been fighting against the Hashimoto for months now. Why are you?"
"It's none of your business, now answer me, who are you?" You spoke slower, keeping your blade raised in her direction.
"Kiriko Kamori." The gorl answered simply as she raised a hand to push your sword away from her face. You let her, raising a brow at her audacity. "I need to know why you're targeting the Hashimoto, I can't yet tell if you're a threat." She said through narrowed eyes.
"You seem close with them." You mocked. "Are they working with Talon?"
"I wouldn't put it past them, but I don't know."
"If they are then I need them dealt with."
"You're going after Talon?"
"Yes." Kiriko eyed you up and down briefly with a slightly raised brow.
"By yourself?"
"I work alone, and my mission is a dirty one, no one else needs to be apart of it." You finally retracted your blade fully, but kept them out of their sheathes just in case.
"Well you're not the only one going after them. You're not the only one going after the Hashimoto either." She stated, glancing back to the unconscious men on the ground. "I can offer you my aid. We both want to see the Hashimoto gone, and we're bound to run into each other again with way. It'll be easier and quicker this way."
"I just told you I work alone."
"You can't use my help?" She asked, cocking her head to the side as she motioned to the men behind her. You hesitated.
"I don't know you, why should I trust you?"
"Because if I wanted to hurt you I could have and would have already. Besides, they say the enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?" With a huff, you let your gaze drop to the ground in consideration. Eventually you sheathed your blades, a sigh crossing your lips as you reached your hand out to her.
"(Y/N) (L/N)."