2. Reunited

~Many, many years later... The war is over, Legolas has returned home and Lasriel wants to see him. Thranduil makes her promise to keep her mother's identity secret.~

"The past can hurt

"The past can hurt. But the way I see it,
you can either run from it,
or learn from it."

– Rafiki, The Lion King

~♕~

2. Reunited

"Naneth!" Lasriel put her full baskets down. "I have fantastic news!"

Her mother looked up from her book, using a finger as a bookmark. "Oh?"

"We won!" She twirled on the spot. "I just heard it in the market. The war is over!"

"Are you sure? The Necromancer..."

"His fortress in Dol Guldur was torn down, and the Dark Lord of Mordor defeated. Most of his minions have fled. The forest is safe!"

"Elbereth be blessed!" She joined her daughter in the impromptu dance. "I have been so worried about our village and the life we lead here. That we would be forced to leave... But no more of that!"

"Indeed. No more orc attacks!" Lasriel removed her boots and leather rain cloak and hung them up. Schooling her voice to sound neutral, she added: "The king has invited the whole realm to celebrate the victory – and the return of his son."

"I see." Her mother's smile waned.

"I know we never see them anymore for good reasons, but I am so curious what he..." She hesitated; she had meant to say 'looks like now', but that sounded superficial. "Uh, what he has been through during his journey. I really think we ought to attend, this time.

"You know we cannot."

"But surely, after all these years..."

"Lasriel. Please."

She sighed. "Sorry for bringing it up." Biting down her disappointment she began unpacking the food.

"Chin up. We celebrate on our own, here where we are safe. Just you and I, as always."

"Just you and I," she repeated, sounding only a tiny bit bitter.

~♕~

A fine mist covered the garden when Lasriel slipped out a couple of days later, silently shutting the door behind her. It was before sunrise and the air was crisp.

Naneth would be so angry when she found her room empty, but she just had to do this. After many long, sleepless nights she had come to the conclusion she needed closure – and she was certain he did too. It would only be a brief visit, enough to see him and see if they could still be friends, after everything.