The Man With Two Faces

Echo POV

We entered a dark room with broken pieces scattered all around it and giant statues placed around a giant board.

"I don't like this. I don't like this at all." Hermione trembled, grabbing onto my hand in fear.

"Where are we? A graveyard?" Harry suggested as we walked closer to the board.

"This is no graveyard," Ron spoke in shock.

"It's a chessboard." I finished as we walked out onto the marble board making flames light up, illuminating the giant players.

"There's the door." Harry points out as I look to the other side of the room seeing the door he was talking about. I stay in place while the other three walk toward the door, across the board. As soon as they reach a line of pawns they bring up their swords and block the way making the three jump and back up.

"Now what do we do?" Hermione exasperated, pretty desperate to stop "Snape".

"It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room." Ron speaks before looking around then at me, "All right. Harry, you take the Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. Echo you be queen. As for me, I'll be a knight." The pieces that were called out move off the board and we take our places.

"What happens now?" Hermione questioned looking at Ron and me.

"Well, white moves first, and then...we play." A pawn on the other side moves forward as I study the game with Ron.

"Ron, Echo, you don't suppose this is going to be like...real wizard's chess, do you?" Hermione asked full of fear.

"You there! D-5!" I instruct just to be sure if it is or isn't like wizards chess as the black pawn moves forward, diagonal to the white pawn. The opposing pawn raises its swords and smashes the black one making everyone jump, "Yes, Hermione, I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess."

The game continues with pieces smashing into each other, booming each time. Ron and I continued to strategize to avoid putting anyone in danger but it was getting hard, reaching the point of no return.

"Wait a minute," Harry spoke.

"You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me...then you'll be free to check the King." Ron instructed making me groan in annoyance knowing it was the only way.

"No, Ron! No!" Harry yelled out.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"He has to sacrifice himself," I spoke making her instantly turn back to Ron.

"No, Ron, you can't! There must be another way!"

"Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry, Echo it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, you two... Echo can you--" He stops himself from talking as I nod taking a deep breath to prepare myself.

"Knight...to H-3." I instruct and Ron's horse slides forward, stopping in its designated place, "Check."

The opposing queen turns and advances to Ron making him breathe faster as he clutches the steel reins. The queen stops in front of Ron and smashes the knight making Ron fly off the horse and land on the floor unconscious.

"RON!" Harry yelled out as Hermione started to walk toward him, "NO! Don't move! Don't forget, we're still playing." Hermione moves back and Harry walks in a diagonal line in front of the king, "Checkmate." With that, the king's sword falls onto the ground signaling we won.

We all run to Ron and bend down beside him. I quickly find out he was still alive as Harry speaks up, "Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right...Echo and I have to go on."