CHAPTER | 07 | E SHOCK YOU?

Start from the beginning

"Lies?" Uju Wellington chuckles wickedly. "Oh my word, why is it so hard for you to believe that your son has a fiancée?" Uju asked.

"Why won't she believe it." Laide jumps in. "Something that is on every social media platform, mmmm, Instablog, Gistlover, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Lindaikeji, Punch, Arise News, in fact they mentioned it on some radio stations that..........." Laide continues but Uju cuts her short abruptly.

"He proposed to her in Dubai, very exquisite, infact the ring was a twenty four carat rose curt diamond, made from your family's jeweler in Shanghai." Uju insisted she had always found Mide to be the most dashing young man of his generation, and with all that Young money, it was such a pity her good for nothing daughter Stéphanie broke up with him and never managed to pin him down or got pregnant for him. Foolish girl.

Flagarbasted by this news,  Yemisi checked her sides in search of her mobile. She needed to be sure her ears weren't deceived her. "Lord have mercy, where is my phone?....Mathew! Mathew! Maaatheeew! Bring me my phone this instant!" Yemisi demaned in her British accent.

Immediately the head of the household, hasteingly brings her iPhone 14. Without hesitation Yemisi starts to suff the internet and wasn't liking what she was seeing, her grandson's picture and the girl in question was everywhere on social media.

"Goodness gracious. What is this! Help me Jesus, Shola it's true. Mide is engaged, how- how come you didn't know about this, he was suppose to come home and then we discuss this marriage thing with him. Oh dear my only grandson is now whisked off to a total stranger, a gold digger." She laments while scrolling through the phone as Shola kept quiet, going through hers as well. It seems they were right after all, it was true, Linda Ikeji had dropped the bombshell weeks ago and she wasn't aware.

Wahala ....Oti shele, Mide ti pa mi. She thought to herself.

Seated farthest by her left side, a beep comes on Bolanle William's iPhone, she unlocks it and checks the message, her daughter sent. "Mmmm, wonders shall never end, Motunrayo says her name is Annika Twala?"

"Twala? That name sounds weird....Twala.. more like wahala if you ask me." Oyindamola grits her teeth, while scrolling through her iPhone.

"But i thought that Mide was coming alone for Odunayo's wedding,.... this is quite shocking i must say. A future Mrs Ajirotutu coming to ours shores... interesting." She added tapping her phone screen as Shola eyes her with disgust.

"Did you know he had a fiancée Shola? ma pa iro fun mi o? Were you aware of this fiasco?" Yemisi asked as all eyes are on Shola who shuts her phone, not wanting to get into the details.

"No mummy, i don't know anything about it...., mi o para now." Shola said as Nike scoffs.

"But surely you've heard about this girl? The one from Africa," Laide said in a whisper to Funke relishing that she was the one breaking the news but Shola heard it.

"An african girl?" Shola exclaims.

"Yes an African girl, i hear she's a celebrity too, well known in her county, very famous too. Shola you should ask Toke, she knows about it, after all she's your eldest daughter." Bolanle chipped in as Shola shuns her.

"Oh o, You see, truth is always bitter," Nike said.

"Impossible, Mide wouldn't dare do such a thing. Laide, you gossip too much, your information are always lies !" Shola said as Laide gawks.

"What do you mean she gossips too much Shola? Her news comes from the most reliable source! Don't blame her, it's not her fault your son doesn't tell you what he does." Nike stated with a sarcasm as everyone gasped.

"Ahan ahan....... Nike that is too much." Yinka replied.

"Oh please Yinka, clearly i wasn't talking to you..... Well mummy it's true, Mide's fiancée is an African from a Zulu tribe," Nike offered, shunning Shola's friend.

"Zulu ke, Really? What's her name again?" Yemisi asked.

"Annika Twala." Nike replied.

"Annikulapo? Where is she from? Is her family reputable, well to do? Nike, if you tell me she's from Morocco, I think I'll have a stroke," Yemisi warned, Nike smirks.

"I heard she's from South Africa," Nike said carefully as her mother exclaimed.

"Eje Jesu !!! Aah, Nibo? Oh my goodness, South Africa ba wo? I hope she's not one of those Swahili tornadoes! Shola are you hearing this, my grandson!" Yemisi cackled.

"Mummy why are you believing all these lies, it's just rumour." Shola argued.

"What do you mean by that Shola? It's all over the news you're saying it's a rumour, my grandson is engaged to a stranger and you know nothing about it, especially how notorious those South African girls can be. They swoop in unexpectedly, the men fall head over heels, and before you know it they are gone, but not before sucking up every last dollar, just like a tornado, Ah Mide has killed me o." Yemisi explained looking worried and angry.

"Ephesians. Chapter six, verse four. Bring up your children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Yemisi couldn't help herself. "This is unbelievable, Oh, I do hope she's a good, christian girl." Yemisi lamented.

Laide clears her throat and speaks in a low conspiratorial tone. "Mummy If you want, I have a private investigator. Very discreet, i could ask him to look into the girl if...." She gets interrupted by Shola.

"Shut up Laide, gbenu dake, your mouth is wide, Private investigator my foot, why are you adding fuel to the fire, you'll just open your mouth waaaa, infact this is a family matter, ki lo kon e." Shola exclaimed.

Annoyed Nike speaks up in her British accent defensively. "Calm down Shola take it easy, she's only trying to hel........."

"Just zip it right there, ko ya gbe ko! stop acting like you have my son's interest in mind sho gbo. Hold it there, even if he doesn't tell me what he does, he's still my son not yours, ko shi danu daleru daleru! Nonsense!" Shola snapped at her, standing up with her bag, hissed and started walking out of the gathering enraged and insulted.

"You're leaving already?.....Shola come back here! it hasn't gotten up to that, where are you going..... Shola!..... Shola!... .. Shola!" Yemisi tries calling her daughter in-law to come back but she turned deaf ears. It was obvious to Yemisi that both of her daughter inlaws can never patch things up.

**********
Dearest Reader 🙋,

Thanks for reading, what do you think of this chapter?

To receive more update and notifications, add this book to your reading list and please click the follow bottom in my profile.

Please vote by clicking the 🌟star button below👇🏼 if want to see more of this chapter in the future, your vote is equal to my payment for writing, your comment pushes me to work harder, and your shares make me elated.❤️

Je t'aime 💕 ( i love you),

Lewa Kulture.