CHAPTER | 07 | E SHOCK YOU?

Start from the beginning

The lunch had ended and they were back inside the mansion, all gathered in the sitting room, talking and laughing. Yemisi sat in the middle lounge couch and Nike sat on her left with her friends and Shola sat at the right with her own friends. It was obvious they didn't like each other's company.

Nike eyed the pretty new maid entering the room, wondering if this was another one of the girls that her mother in-law had handpicked from that "employment agency at Ikeja" reputed to have the most beautiful handworking women in Lagos for housekeeping.

The maid came in and placed a familiar bulky mother-of-pearl chest beside Yemisi. "Mummy what do you have today another collection?" Shola asked Yemisi, as her mother in-law chuckles softly.

"Oh, I wanted to show you what I bought on my trip to Europe." Yemisi flipped open the lid chest as everyone waited anxiously to see what the matriarch was taking out.

Yemisi eagerly and began methodically taking out the stacked black velvet trays. One of her favorite parts of Friday Bible study was looking at showing the ladies her latest acquisitions.

Soon the sofa was lined with trays containing a blinding array of jewels.

"What intricate crosses-I didn't realize they did such good setting work in Germany!" Laide said.

"No, no, those crosses are Harry Winston," Yinka corrected as Laide rolls her eyes. Yimu.

"Very beautiful piece mummy, the rubies are from Paris." Aisha placed her saucer on the stool, got up and headed straight for the sofa, holding up one of the lychee-size rubies to the light.

"Walahi, i must say mummy, you have fine taste for jewelry , but please you have to be careful, in Paris because so many of their rubies are synthetically treated to boost the redness." Aisha said, being the wife of Aliko Dangote of Dangote Cements and Danté Jewelry & Co Aisha could speak on this topic with authority.

"I thought rubies from Europe were supposed to be the best, i remember when Mide got me a Rolex on my birthday, oh........." Yemisi remarked but was interrupted by BUZZING of iphone beeps.

She looks disapprovingly as Laide and Uju's phone continues to beep, while checking their messages. The rest women continues to speak with upper crust Nigerian British accents, their perfect grammar with local flourishes.

"Ehen! Hey, speaking of Ayomide, when does he arrive from New York or is it Dubai? Isn't he the best man at Odunayo's wedding?" My friend Amanda heard it from her friend that he's coming with a guest." Laide spilled the beans as Shola eyes her.

"What do you mean my grandsonAyomide? What guest is that? Is it someone that I know" Yemisi asked rather darting her eyes left and right curiously.

"The one... ... he's bringing ... to the wedding," Yinka replied slowly, her eyes darting around at the other ladies mischievously, knowing they all knew to whom she was referring.

"What are you talking about? Who is he bringing? What's going on? Shola what are she talking about? O de soro soke kin gbo." Yemisi questioned, a little bit confused, Shola shurgs. "I don't understand what she's talking about." Shola denys, trying to change the subject, Nike gasps and spills the truth.

"Shola what do you mean you don't know that Mide is engaged to his latest girlfriend!" Nike revealed as Yemisi and Shola exclaimed. "What!!!!"

"Kini ? Oh my, You didn't know," Nike spoke Yoruba with her British accent and then jeered.

"Iro ni, laye, ko le shele, No such thing! No way Shola has a fiancée. I know my son, Mide will never do such a thing without telling me or his father. Never! Nike stop spreading lies." Shola argued, Nike hissed.