Chapter 23

The water lapped at my boots as I reached down to help an elderly woman to shore. Her hand was icy cold and gripped my wrist in a strangle hold. She fell to her knees with a sob, trembling. "Everything is gone."

A floating barrel bumped against my leg as I reached for the next person and the next. Smaug was dead. Not long after reaching the edge of the lake Tauriel, Legolas and I watched the dragon plummet from the sky shot down by Bard's black arrow.

I'm the reason the elves weren't there before Smaug's attack. Did Bard's children die because Legolas and Tauriel weren't there to save them from the Orcs? What of Kili who needed Tauriel's elven healing magic to recover from his poisoned wound? These were just a few of the questions that circled around in my head as more and more people stumbled onto the shore.

The sun broke over the eastern ridge, the bright rays striking against the surface of the water. Ducking my head, I squinted and searched the floating debris for anyone else in need of help. I averted my gaze when a body drifted closer.

Nothing I did here would truly erase my mistake, but I had to try. I wish Gandalf were here. I'd even welcome some of his annoying riddles.

A woman passed me a blanket from a stack. I wrapped it around the shoulders of a shivering woman, ignoring the chill that bit at my bare face and rippled down my spine. 

I hissed, my broken wrist throbbing.  Gritting my teeth, I pressed my arm closer to my side. Maybe I was overdoing it but I couldn't stand by and do nothing.

Women were weeping. Children were screaming. People lay on the ground injured. Everywhere I looked tragedy stared back. Guilt twisted my stomach. These poor people.

"The children are hungry." A woman murmured.

"What should we do? We don't have a tally of our supplies." Her companion muttered, wringing her hands.

A small child wailed and soon others took up an ear-piercing chorus.

There wasn't much I could do for them but...I fumbled in my pocket, pulling out a wrapped piece of Lembas Legolas had given me.

Grabbing the sleeve of one of the mothers, I offered her the bread. "This is elvish waybread. It only takes a small bite and they'll be full."

The woman eyed the bread with suspicion before nodding grudgingly. "My thanks."

"Shaft Killer?" A familiar voice said behind me.

I spun around to find a part of the company staggering onto land. The dwarves were a bedraggled lot, their long hair and beards streaming water. Fili and Oin held Kili between them. His face was a sickly gray.

Fili adjusted his hold on his brother's waist. "Adelaide, how came you to be here?" His blue eyes were puzzled. "We believed you safe in the Elf King's halls."

I shook myself free of my stupor. "Forget about it for now. Let's help your brother. Tauriel!" I shouted in the direction of the she-elf.

Her super hearing caught my voice over the din. Tauriel loped across the grass and knelt beside Kili. Sitting her bow aside she, pushed up her sleeves. "I need athelas." Her eyes lifted to me. "Hurry, Adelaide."

Hearing the urgent note in her voice I sprinted toward the woods grabbing Legolas' arm along the way and hauled the elf prince after me. "I don't know what athelas looks like. I need your help to find it."

Legolas pulled free, his expression cold. "Why would I help a dwarf?"

"Argh!" I wanted to strangle him. This Pre-LOTR Legolas was such a pain. "Get rid of the stick up your ass and help me! I'm not in the mood for your racism! A person needs help and that should be enough for you!"