Chapter 21

I'd been locked in the guestroom for three days with only the occasional visit from Lord Aelfric to break up the monotony. He even brought me parchment and ink so I could write. His attentiveness made me slightly uneasy. Elves were typically aloof from humans so why did he go out of his way to visit me?

Shaking my head, I banished the thought. It didn't matter. I was more worried about the others locked in the dungeons. The elves wouldn't mistreat the dwarves, but I didn't like Thorin being locked away like an animal in a cage. Especially knowing he was angry with me for hiding the truth about my origins.

He shouldn't be angry. Claiming to be from another world isn't something you spring on someone without really knowing them. How did I know he'd believe me?

I paced around the sitting room, my footsteps muffled by the thick rug covering the stone floor. Where was Bilbo? The guard mentioned nothing about a Hobbit being captured with the rest of the Company. I pressed my index finger against my bottom lip. Could Bilbo be using the Ring to sneak around the mountain?

Thinking of the Ring made me feel all skivvy.

Someone knocked at the door. I tensed as the key turned in the lock, the tumblers clicking loudly. Compressing my lips, I arched a brow as Lord Aelfric stepped into the room looking apologetic. "Forgive me for the intrusion. King Thranduil wishes to speak with you, my lady."

Smoothing the green satin of my borrowed gown, I joined him in the hall. "And he sent you to play messenger?"

"Would you not prefer my company to that of one of the guards?" He volleyed back.

Point taken. Who knew Aelfric had a feisty side hidden beneath his serene-elf exterior? It made me like him better.

We made our way to the throne room in silence. No amount of small talk would make the situation less awkward.

Thranduil wasn't lounging in his throne. He stood off to the side fixing himself a drink. An elven king with a drinking problem, go figure. Of course, if I had to rule a kingdom in this world, I'd probably be guzzling alcohol like water.

Aelfric bowed and after a subtle gesture to me I curtsied.

Thranduil plugged the crystal decanter with a stopper and motioned us forward. "Miss Monroe, Lord Aelfric has informed me of...some oddities regarding your character."

I glared at the elf healer and gritted my teeth. "What oddities?"

"It appears while in the library in Imladris you searched for information on travel between worlds." The elf king pinned me in place with his icy blue eyes. "Is this true?"

I shrugged. "I'm a scholar. The more obscure the study the better."

"Lord Aelfric believes your study is more prosaic in nature." Thranduil calmly sipped his wine before continuing. "There have been World Walkers in the past. They come during critical junctures in our history. Before the fall of High King Gil-Galad is one such instance I can think of."

I had no idea who Gil-Galad was. Tolkien created numerous histories of Middle Earth to expand his world. After reading the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, I bowed out. "What do you want me to say?"

"The truth." Thranduil replied, examining the silver filigree on his goblet. "I do not suffer liars or deceivers within my halls."

Shooting Aelfric another glare for backing me into a corner, I exhaled sharply. "Yes, I'm from another world. I'm not going to say anything more than that."

"Why?" The king challenged.

"Because if I do, it will screw up important events."

Thranduil raised his brows in surprise. "You possess the gift of foresight? How...unusual for a mortal."