all the same...

Ahsoka's PoV:

"Are you sure?", I asked my good friend Padme Amidala again. She was a senator and had her contacts spread all over Coruscant's levels. Of course I knew she wasn't lying. Nevertheless I had to make sure that her suspicions were well-founded.
Rumors were circulating that a slave syndicate was setting up shop in the lower levels. To sell slaves on the black market and market them through smugglers throughout the galaxy. 
"Of course, Ahsoka. Otherwise I wouldn't have come to you with this," she looked at me with that pleading look she knew very well she was getting what she wanted. 
Surrendering I exhaled deeply once and crossed my arms in front of my chest.
"All right. I'll have a look around down there and if these suspicions are confirmed. I'll tell the council about it."
She hugged me effusively with joy. 
"Thank you, Ahsoka. I owe you something. I'm sorry to burden you with this too. I know you have enough on your plate right now with the court order for that drug lord from the Pyke Syndicate."
When she reminded me I pulled a long face and flopped down on the soft couch in the middle of her apartments. "Don't remind me..."
Padme pulled a pity face and sat down with me. 
"I'm sure you'll convince the court to give him a life sentence. For your first case as a Jedi Knight you're doing very well. I'm sure Master Qui-Gon would be proud of you", she stroked my back comfortingly at these bitter words. 
I sighed and put my head back. "I wish he could stand by me with his advice." 
Padme remained silent for she respected my albeit unconventional bond with my late master. 
It was because of him alone that I had risen to the rank of Jedi Knight. Ironically it was similar to what had happened with his previous Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Back in the battle against the Sith Darth Maul, Qui-Gon was lucky to survive. 
Only to die years later shortly before completing my training during our joint battle against the droid general Grievous. 
Without his distraction I would not have managed to kill Grievous nearly a year ago. Even with his sacrifice I nearly died in the fight as well. In recognition the Council named me a Jedi Knight. 
The only one capable of understanding my loss was Master Kenobi. He had become not only a mentor to me in my time of grief but also a brother. Even if according to him I had taken on too much of my master's characteristics. And regularly drove him to the white heat with it. 
Nevertheless I remembered with pleasure the common training hours of that time. When everything was still the same...