33

I sat in the balcony while Colby went to shower. I ended up smoking another cigarette just to keep my hands occupied so I wouldn't pick at my nails more.

I knew it wasn't good for me, but a couple wouldn't kill me.

"Ready?" Colby asked as he poked his head out. "Yeah." I said then stood up. "What's exactly the plan? Are we just staking out?" Colby asked as I laughed.

"I know you're used to stalking people but we're just gonna see if they're outside." I said as he grabbed his keys.

"You realize that's the exact definition of stalking right?" Colby asked as I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever." I grumbled and followed him out of the apartment.

"So are you like...legally not allowed to see them?" Colby asked as I clenched my jaw. "I don't want to talk about this right now." I said as he nodded.

"So, yes." He said as I punched his arm as hard as I could.

"Jesus, what was that for?!" He asked as I clenched my jaw, keeping my eyes forward as we got in the elevator.

"I can just not take you." Colby said and crossed his arms. "Give me the keys. I'll take myself." I said as he chuckled.

"Nice try." He said as the doors opened.

When we got to the car, we got in. "Do you remember where it is?" I asked and buckled my seatbelt.

"Yeah, I remember." He said and started driving. It was a good twenty or thirty minute drive but luckily we were silent for most of it.

"I'm sorry she took them." Colby said out of nowhere. "It happens." I mumbled. "No, it shouldn't. Why didn't you try to get to get custody?" He asked as I snapped my head to look at him.

"Fuck off." I snapped as his brows raised with surprise. "You've really gotten an attitude." He said as I nodded.

"Yeah. Learned from the best." I said and looked out the window.

When we got to the house I felt my heart shatter. Jenna was sitting on the stairs, crying into her hands.

Even from this distance I could see a red mark on her forearm. It took literally everything in me to not get out of the car and run to her.

"Your mom's a bitch." Colby said as I nodded. "Tell me about it." I mumbled and watched as the bitch herself came onto the porch.

She crouched down and put her hand on Jenna's back. "Don't fucking touch her." I mumbled, watching my mom pull the fake sweet act she was so good at.

If Jenna was inside she would have dragged her up the stairs but since people could see her she was pretending to be a good mom.

It made me fucking sick.

"Now what?" Colby asked as my mom led Jenna back inside.

"Just wait." I said quietly, watching the house with so much intensity my eyes were drying out.

"I don't think they're coming out, Jules." Colby said as I clenched my jaw. "Just wait!" I snapped and watched the house carefully.

I stared for a couple minutes before I felt myself deflate.

I was about to tell Colby that we could go but before I could a car was pulling up in front of the house.

I scrunched my brow with confusion then watched as Adam got out of the car. He was wearing the cop uniform that he stole from the man he killed.

"What's he doing here?" I asked as Colby quickly buckled his seatbelt.

"We can't leave them!" I cried out and reached for my door handle. "Julia, we have to go. They aren't in danger. If he sees us then we are." Colby said and and put the car in drive.