CHAPTER 1 ' Metanoia

⠀⠀⠀You were fighting by Aether's and Nahida's side against the notorious Balladeer.

⠀⠀⠀You were close to winning when Nahida started pulling the gnosis towards her. Scaramouche's cries were breaking through the ginormous metal suit. He tried and tried to reach it, pleading Nahida to let go of the gnosis but it was no use.
As the Archon got her hands on the gnosis, Scaramouche fell down, quickly making a bang as he collided with the floor.

⠀⠀⠀But no one went to help. They didn't even give him a chance. He might be hurt or injured.

. . .

⠀⠀⠀"What..." I said under my breath. I was frozen in place. "What are you two doing?!" I snapped back at Aether and Nahida who were both walking away from the scene like nothing happened. "Are you really going to just leave him there?! He might be hurt!"
⠀⠀⠀They stopped in their tracks, slightly turning their heads at me. Aether tightened his grip on his sword.
⠀⠀⠀"I thought everyone deserved second chances." I said softly, a bit ashamed of how I yelled before.
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀But they didn't answer. Aether was the first one to turn his back on me. I saw Nahida giving him a sad look but then also slowly turning away. Paimon followed.

⠀⠀⠀I kneeled down and picked up my spear. I was mad. I tried helping Aether all this time and now he's just going to ignore me?!
⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀I made sure I was holding my weapon properly. I didn't want to accidentally get caught off guard when approaching Scaramouche.

⠀⠀⠀I sighed and quickly ran towards him.

⠀⠀⠀When I got there he was still lying down on his back. Not moving. Eyes closed.

⠀⠀⠀I slowly sat down next to him. His face was all bruised, so was his whole body. His clothes and hair were also messed up. He seemed lifeless.
⠀⠀⠀What was I even doing here? Why did I feel the need to do this. I should've just went with Aether... I knew him long before I met this guy. I didn't know if Scaramouche was going to be dangerous in this state... He seemed powerless without the gnosis and his robot though. He didn't have a weapon next to him either.

⠀⠀⠀I reached out to him, I tried to caress his head, try to bring him comfort.
But he woke up.
His purple eyes flashed opened.
Suddenly I felt his grip around my wrist.

⠀⠀⠀"AGH. FUCK. THAT HURTS." I yelled.
His grip tightened.
⠀⠀⠀"Good. That's what it's supposed to do, moron."

⠀⠀⠀In a moment of weakness, Scaramouche grabbed my other arm and pushed me down, laying me flat on the ground.
⠀⠀⠀"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" The Balladeers voice rose.
⠀⠀⠀"Please. PLEASE LISTEN TO ME FIRST. I DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU." I slurred my words as he kept pushing my hands down on my chest. It was hard to breathe. "SEE? I PLACED MY WEAPON DOWN."

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche's gaze slowly turned to the spear, his mouth forming into a smirk. I heard him whisper something under his breath right before quickly snatching the spear and plunging it into the ground next to my face. He placed his foot on my right arm making me unable to move once more.

⠀⠀⠀"You're not the smartest, are you?" Scaramouche taunted. "What do you want."

⠀⠀⠀"I want to... to help you." I gasped, finally being able to breathe properly even though I felt as if my bones were getting crushed in my right arm.
Even though his gaze slightly softened he pushed further on my arm making me yell in pain.

⠀⠀⠀"Help. Such a hopeless word." He grunted now shooting spears with his eyes.

⠀⠀⠀"I promise. Please. I'm alone. This isn't a trick. Please Scaramouche." I whimpered.

⠀⠀⠀He somehow changed his mind and let me go. Scaramouche got off me and threw the spear to the side. He tried walking away but then soon after collapsed to the ground.
⠀⠀⠀I ran to pick him up.
The moment I wrapped my arm around him he flinched and pushed me away.
⠀⠀⠀"I may have spared you for now but do not push your luck. You're not special." Scaramouche hissed.
I nodded. I had to somehow win his trust right? Maybe he wasn't as awful as he seems.
He might just be... lonely.

⠀⠀⠀"They think they're done with you for good."

⠀⠀⠀Scaramouche sighed after hearing my words.

⠀⠀⠀"They're wrong. The gnosis... I need it back. It's mine. He got up. "Come. Get me my hat too... worm."
Did he hesitate? I couldn't tell. Scaramouche kicked a piece of shattered glass as he made his way out.

⠀⠀⠀He can't be that bad..