14.

"Yeah... no, no, I get it... Yeah"

I watch as Hero talks on the phone with a friend, whose wife is a lawyer, and notice his feet getting restless— his one hand resting low on his hip and the other holding the phone to his ear. He looks tense, his shoulders have been stiff and upright ever since he got on the call and it's been around five minutes.

"Alright, thank you, my man... Appreciate it... alright"

He finally ends the call and sighs aloud raking his hand through his hair while moving toward me. "I was thinking Tacos for lunch" casually he sits down beside me as if he wasn't stress-walking a few seconds ago.

"What did he say?"

"Oh, Luisa is a bit busy but she'll make time for us and schedule a meeting to get into detail about all of this"

"Okay" my phone rings in my hand again, and my mother's name pops on the screen.

I've been getting constant calls from my mother and Nate, them leaving voicemails forcing me to call them back, but I am prepared to talk to neither. Our wedding is the day after tomorrow and today is supposed to be our rehearsal dinner so we have one day to prepare ourselves before the big day. I refused to have a bachelorette party but he's going to have a bachelor bash tomorrow.

Alas, none of that will happen now.

And I am actually happier about it than I was before.

"You don't have to pick up," Hero says, reaching out for my phone.

"I probably should" I tap on the answer button and put it on my ear, my heart beginning to hammer in my chest. I wouldn't want my mother to assume me dead, and besides, I strongly feel I should let her know about the wedding that is not happening anymore.

"Josephine! My god, are you alright?" Her voice sounds panicked and filled with concern, which I'm not sure is real.

"I'm okay" my voice comes out as an unsure whisper, and I look into Hero's eyes which send a sense of silent support to me as he nods.

"Where are you?"

Just when I was about to tell her where I was, she adds "Nate's here— he came looking for you"

My blood runs cold hearing his name, and the wrenching pain in my gut resumes. "Nate's there?" I confirm with a quivering voice, indirectly informing Hero whose posture alerts.

"Yeah. What happened last night, Jo?" the tone of her voice tells me that she is partly aware but is too scared to say it out loud.

"Mum I'm not coming back. I can't be with him" Hero's hand rests on my thigh, rubbing it slightly as he attempts to calm me, silent tears streaming down my eyes.

"I'm so sorry baby. I shouldn't have called him. I was letting him know that you're not alone and that I'm there for you. Which is why he showed up here first"

"It's okay, I just don't want to go back to him. Ever"

"I know. And you shouldn't. Your father thinks this is an issue you must sort out with Nate. Both of them are pulling all the strings to find you. Be safe Josephine, I'll call you whenever I can"

I hang up her phone and press my lips in a tight line to suppress the sobs. I can't even go to my own home because of my father, and I don't blame my mother because like always, her hands are tied. Everything goes in accordance with my father for her, and I pity her.

"Jo" Hero whispers and takes my shaking hands in his. I didn't even know they were. I take a deep breath, slowly exhaling and calming my nerves.

I know I have nothing to worry about as long as I'm with him. He makes me feel safer than I ever have been.