Levi X !Enemies to Lovers! Reader (Genderfluid)

Start from the beginning

He took it down.

You think to yourself. Straightening yourself out again, you squint your eyes trying to see through the haze, waiting for his return. Then, out of nowhere, the sound of ODM Gear anchors firing your direction catch you off guard. Your body reacts before your mind, folding over to avoid the anchor's hooks from piercing through you. A silver flash flies over your head, shooting into the tree trunk behind you with a loud crunch. Heart racing against your ribs, the whirling of the wires echo throughout the space, a figure appearing in the distance. Completely dropping to the swampy ground, a familiar Captain unhooks his anchors, skidding to a stop before crashing into the tree.

Pulling yourself back up, you do not expect to see the Captain look so doubtful. "Are-" Without getting to finish, the man already has his back to you, scanning the short horizon. "We're surrounded now." He announces quietly, making your blood run cold. "I thought you took that one down...?" Your tone trails off. Shaking his head, his eyes never meet yours. "Only got the ankles. At least three more showed up. Our horses are gone and we may be goners too. If this rain doesn't let up, we're screwed. Unless you want to continue being stupid and use it blindly." The Captain speaks bitterly.

Once again fed up, you completely stand up to stare holes into the back of his head. "You never answered my question earlier, 'Cap. Why are you such a dick?" Your eyes narrow. The last thing you also least expected was an answer. "Because you're the first person I've had a team with since my comrades died." His tone is one you never heard before. It was quiet yet the words were very loud in your head. He was gentle yet firm, stoic but somehow emotional as he reminisced. Full of questions, you push them aside to continue staring at his head. Maybe you judged him far too soon?

Before getting to part your lips after processing, the Captain is already strategizing your escape in one piece. Or as close to it as possible. "Another group has to be passing by here shortly. They couldn't have missed us." He mumbles mostly to himself, not noticing you were barely present in the moment. All you can think about is how things from the past few weeks are starting to make sense. He was probably so hard on you to keep you from falling behind but to also keep you at arm's length. So you wouldn't die on him too.

"Hey, idiot, I'm speaking to you." Captain Levi's expression hardens back to its usual intimidating self, his eyes locked on your form. Snapping out of your thoughts, you don't react the same way you used to. This time, you finally understand him. Shifting your focus up to/down to/towards his sharp pupils, your demeanor is very calm. "Sorry for making a fuss about your attitude, Captain. I should have respected your grieving better." You almost whisper, as if others are around to eavesdrop. Taken aback, the raven male furrows his brows, a tad bit embarrassed to hear an apology like that. Was he too open about himself? The last thing he wants is someone's pity.

Without having to change expressions, you can tell he's shoving his feelings aside to focus on the task at hand again. Like not dying. Without warning, the man grasps your sprained left wrist, tugging you behind as he jogs away from the Titans. Wincing in pain, you bite on your cheek, too afraid to speak up and tell him to let go of your throbbing wrist. You would rather not get another lecture from him, or worse, get belittled by him for your clumsiness.

Continuing blindly, you're even more afraid of running into another Titan than telling Captain Levi to release your pained wrist. Right now, living is more important than a simple ouchie. Finally, though, you reach a break point once far enough. Your boots roughly stomp to a stop, gasping when the male removes his hand from yours. Bent over at the waist, ignoring him, Captain Levi looks down at you with a scowl as he wipes his hand on a cloth he uses for his swords. "You can't be this fatigued already, wimp. Did you even build stamina back in Cadet Corps?" He spits, no sight of him dropping his disgust for you.