Calm Before The Storm

"What meant the world imploded, faded and demoted
All my oxygen to product gas
And suffocated my last chance
You said, between your smiles and regrets
Don't say it's over
Calm before the storm, set it off
And the sun burnt out, tonight"
-Calm before the storm, FOB

***

Harper sat in the common room that afternoon, finishing her school work, prepping for her O.W.L.S. Her mind wandering the mostly empty room as she listened to the radio playing.

"Don't forget the addition of woofsbane here..." Harper handed Ginny back her essay.

When she noticed George enter the room, she quickly gathered her things and tried to run for it. Angelina and Joy stood up from their spots by the fire, both frowning as they tried to ascertain the situation.

"Sorry Gin, I need to get ready for patrol."

That's really immature of you

Harper hurriedly stuffed her things away, shaking her head.

Harper.

"I'll see you later," Ginny nodded as she hurried up to her dormitory.

Harper paused, looking at George who was watching her with a pained expression. "I'm being immature?"

"You said we could start talking again, but all you've done today is literally run from me," he pointed out her hurried packing job, "so yeah. A bit immature."

Harper frowned slightly, "says the bloke that was flirting with Alexandria right in front of me."

"I knew you were going to be jealous the second she sat down," George scoffed, shaking his head. "We were talking about quidditch, the Irish might make it to the cup this year. That's all. Quidditch."

"I'm not jealous, I just know she's prettier than me," Harper shrugged. "It's a fact. She's part Veela. I can't be jealous of what I can't compete with."

"Nonemacker! Come on, I told you I haven't given up on the idea of us being together again. I meant it! And besides, you're prettier than her," George whispered, giving a confident nod.

Harper scoffed, Joy jumped on the couch across from her, watching the scene for trouble, Angelina pulling on her sleeve to keep her back.

"You really think I'd look at any other girl than you, Harper?"

Harper shrugged, "I don't really know."

"I had Ginny and Hermione leaving those yellow carnations outside your dormitory for me everyday, I've done nothing but keep all your supplies stocked, why am I doing any of that if I didn't fancy you? Why would I still say you're my girl?" George whispered.

"Aww-ahhhh!" Harper looked over to see Angelina pulling Joy down on the couch and out of view.

"You can't say something slick like that after...after seeing you flirt with her," Harper's face flushed.

"Harper..."

"Stop calling me Harper," she frowned.

"I'm most certainly not calling you a pet name when things are tense. If you want a pet name go ask Diggory or Freddie-heard he's been using them-"

"Oh now look who's jealous!" Harper scoffed, putting a hand on her hip. She looked at her bag with a frown. "You don't get it," Harper shook her head.

"I do get it, Harper. Please just hear me out for a moment," he stepped closer, Harper feeling her chair push into her leg as she backed up.