Five Minutes to Midnight

"Will you find another party
Go and kiss and tell
'Cause you know I never will I think we should strike a match
We'll hold it to the wind to see how long it lasts
We can make the time stand still"
-Five Minutes to Midnight, Boys Like Girls

****

Harper grinned triumphantly as she took a step back from Hermione's hair. Having spent the past several hours helping the girl tame and calm her wild hair.

"We may've gone through every single bottle of hair gel in the universe," Harper giggled.

"You're amazing!" Hermione grinned excitedly.

Harper grinned, walking to Hermione's bed where her dress laid out and began changing. She had chosen a gorgeous formal gown, a deep emerald silk dress with a black lace overlay patterned into feathers, and off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. The dress had a corset top design that hugged her tightly and flared from her hips and down to the floor in multiple layers, resulting in a beautiful hourglass silhouette. Harper had fixed her hair so that it sat low against her neck in a woven bun with emerald bobby pins sticking through the dozens of crosses of her hair. She added a slim silver headband that she wrapped some of her fringe around, a few loose strands and baby hairs framing her face, created an elegant look.

"You might be the prettiest one there," Hermione gasped at Harper, as the two girls put on their final touches of jewelry.

"Oh no, there will be girls that are part Veela at this thing," Harper laughed. Brushing her fringe that fell from the silver band away and fixing her lipgloss.

Hermione smiled slightly, brushing down her dress with a nervous expression on her face. "You look absolutely stunning 'mione," Harper took Hermione's hands and gave them a squeeze. "We should get going."

The two grabbed their heels and hurried down through the common room of many students that were still milling around, and out the door, when they got to the final set of stairs they put on their heels before turning the corner to see the crowd below. Harper steeling her nerves and building her walls just as she practiced over and over, tonight was going to test her-but it would be worth it in the end. Worth it to spend the evening smiling with George and the others.

"Oh I see Krum over there," Harper nodded her head in his direction as they descended the steps, heads turned in their direction as they walked, Harper tried not to grin at all the shocked and jealous looks the two received. "Do the boys know yet?"

"Not at all," Hermione laughed. "Did you know the champions have to lead the first dance?! That means I'm...."

"He looks like he can lead a dance, just remember to breathe," Harper laughed. "Have fun," Harper winked when they reached the final step, Viktor Krum appeared and bowed to Hermione before leading her off.

"Wow....Harper?!" Harper turned to see Fred staring with his jaw dropped. "Wow.." he cleared his throat, shaking his head.

"Wow, Harper..." Angelina appeared next to Fred, her jaw dropping as well.

"You lot always call me a pretty bird, thought I'd embrace it," Harper twirled around, trying to examine herself as her friends continued to stare.

"I didn't realize just how gorgeous you could be," Fred shook his head, Angelina silently nodding in agreement. "I mean, all the girls look great.... you look beyond great, Ange." He looked at Angelina, his face flushing as he interlaced his fingers with hers.

"No no no, Harper definitely puts us to shame everyday. But today, Harper is beyond stunning," Angelina agreed.

Harper's face flushed slightly, "I didn't do much-"