Loose Cannon

"You make a mess of my head when 
you tell me I'm defensive, can't help 
Keeping me in hell, we're spittin' words with no filter"

-Loose Cannon, Set It Off

***

Harper heaved a sigh as she slowly made her way through the train barrier, the train billowing smoke as it gave a ten minute warning. She turned to her mother who started fixing the collar of her jacket with a frown.

"Now, I know things are hard, you're growing up and your ability is a bit daunting. But please don't lose focus this year," Harper's mother pleaded as she continued to fluff up the denim collar.

"Couldn't we have just gone to Hogsmeade?" Harper muttered, she could feel her face flushing as she looked around.

"But I thought you liked the train?" Harper sighed, chewing on the inside of her cheek and nodding, "be good. And try to stay focused. If all works out....maybe we could move back to France? We couldn't return to your old school but...don't you miss the cottage, especially this summer?" At her mother's words, Harper dropped her gaze, the guilt of having them moved to London eating away at her. 

Without another word, Harper hurried onto the train and found an empty compartment, taking a seat and closing her eyes for a moment of peace. Snape had told her parents who were less than pleased with the information that Harper had indeed not been practicing as best as she could. This led to a long summer of occlumency lessons in hopes that her ability in defending her mind was the cure to stopping her ability all together.  This led to very little time for friends—which worked out considering the one friend she desperately wanted to see, possibly didn't want a word to do with her anymore.

"H!"

Harper let out a puff of air from her lungs as Angelina dove into her midriff, holding the girl tightly.

"That's perfect, Ange. Hold her down while I pelt the living snot outta her-"

"You're not hurting my best friend!" Angelina said defensively. 

Harper opened her eyes to see an irate Fred glaring from the doorway, she wasn't sure but he looked like he'd gotten a few inches taller.

"You have a lotta nerve, Nonemacker. How dare-"

"Oi! I know! I got it all from your howlers already," Harper held up a hand getting to her feet, she cracked her neck and sighed. Waiting for the rest of the blow up.

"You could've trusted me sooner, writing a letter...are you mental?!" Fred's glare softened, pulling her into a tight hug which felt more like he was attempting to break her ribs than a friendly gesture.

"Well, your twin didn't leave me much to work with, did he?" Harper squeaked, Fred slightly lessened his hold.

"I suppose not, if Ginny hadn't intervened there would've been several more letters," Fred chuckled.

"Still friends?" Harper asked, her heart going a mile a second, terrified of his reaction.

"Of course, I knew you were a fascinating person, Harps," Fred smiled.

Over his shoulder she noticed George putting his suitcase above his head in the compartment across from them. Fred pushed her into the aisle, causing her to slam into Cedric Diggory who gave a quick hello before hurrying off.