Harper's Law

"Mercury must be in retrograde
Nothing lately has gone my way
My life's on fire
I'm getting tired
They say that bad things come in threes
But how come it's dozens when it's me?
Every day is harder
Sanity seems farther
Tell me where did I go wrong?
Keeping calm to carry on
Lifelines blurry in my palm
Down to my last straw
Picking at my every flaw
Wish I had a crystal ball
But I guess that's just Murphy's Law
Guess that's just Murphy's Law"
-Murphy's law, Honey Revenge

****

Harper took a deep breath, steadying herself as she examined the marks her spells had left in the bark of the sycamore tree. Twirling George's wand lazily between her fingers, she contemplated the next cluster of spells she wanted to focus on. She'd been on the sidelines for so long, she kept reminding herself that she needed to get back to her old level of expertise fast. She allowed her body to heal, not worrying about her mind that would probably never heal, but there was no more time to sit around and wait for things to happen.

Her nightmares were unrelenting, Harper had taken to waking in a cold sweat, sitting at the edge of the bed-often watching George as he slept, occasionally catching him watching her but neither saying a word to each other. George only ever reached out his hands to her, letting Harper work through the nightmares in her own way until she was ready to be held in his arms. It wasn't rare that Harper would wake to George holding her protectively to his chest.

"Good to see the wand responds well," Tonks called, approaching with a small glass in her hands. Harper nodded, giving a strained smile in response and flicking the wand more feverishly this time. "Been having more nightmares?"

"Visions. They're visions," Harper said through gritted teeth. Tonks gave a sympathetic smile. "Yes....and they never end nicely."

"Mmmm."

Harper sent a severing charm with such venom the tree crumbled in an instant. "If I told you a war was coming soon...and I mean soon. Would you believe me?" Tonks had always been on her side, when Harper couldn't stomach pretending to sleep she often found Tonks awake in the nursery they'd setup for Teddy's arrival. They would sit up late and talk, often Tonks told her stories about different missions she did with Moody or schooling. Harper loved listening, getting her mind away from the fates' constant whispers in her ear.

"My bread and butter was always jinx, shield, disarm, and then disorient," Tonks stepped closer, she gave Harper a hard look. "Always expect the unforgivables and move as fast as you can. Always keep shielding when you aren't stunning."

Harper nodded, "always keep Pretgo on the tip of your tongue and run. Keep running for cover. A shield charm does not protect against the killing curse but solid objects do." Tonks continued to explain, her auror training coming forward.

"You believe me then? About a battle coming?"

"Of course," Tonks gave her an incredulous look, "Harper. You could tell me the sky will be purple tomorrow and I'll believe you without a shred of doubt."

Harper quirked her mouth to the side as she nodded, turning to a fresh tree as he next dueling partner. Tonks standing watch as Harper went through a list of spells, working on finessing a list of what she would use during a fight, imagining multiple death eaters converging on her. The familiar cackle entering her mind, Harper's adrenaline froze in her blood, her heart stopping, suddenly she imagined that black haired witch in front of her-the list of dark magic Harper wanted to unleash was expansive as her body locked up.

No. Don't freeze!

Harper tried moving her arm, the laughter too loud in her mind, she looked to her hand-locked against her side.