5. To Shock and Horror

Forsaken Tower: Chapter 5 - To Shock and Horror

- oOo -

Parasite

Every so often, I would be informed by one of Number Four's lackeys that she has requested my presence. Perhaps "requested" is too nice of a word, no, she ordered my presence. I would trudge up the stairs all the way to the third highest floor of the Tower where her apartment was. I passed Briar Rosedarling on the way up, another of Number Four's lackeys, she was hurrying down in a rush and bumped my shoulder as she passed. I noticed a distinct smell of floral perfume, specifically speaking L'Vynn by Scorpio. A brand run by a fellow Shadow, Ghost Runes. The hypocrisy of immortals using products produced by Shadows and holding them in the highest esteem without realising that their own purchases are what funds the enemy always amused me.

That particular floral perfume was a favourite of Darlene Zhaniery's. Add that detail to the fact that Briar's legs were so weak that she nearly fell down the stairs, suffice to say Number Four just added another toy to her collection. Darlene was very bi-sexual.

I ignored Briar and continued on. The lackey that lead me up to Darlene's apartment left me at the door. I entered alone. 

A wave of warm air greeted me along with Darlene's hay fever inducing perfume.  Like always, I call out. Darlene's foot steps come up behind me as she once again attempt to surprise me.

"Hello there, my darling," she whispered into my ears as her hands reached under my clothes.

"It's been taken care of," I told her. "Number Ten's position will not be threatened."

"Good," she smiled, her claws already digging into my torso. I winced at the pain and she smiled at my response.

"I require a favour," I dared to say.

Darlene was not happy to hear that. I felt a jolt of pain as she sharply pinched my nipple, her other hand dug into my wrist in an equally painful manner. "You want a favour? Don't forget who you are, Lonerider, 3013, you are nothing!"

"And yet I'm the only one who can communicate with the outside, I have resource you don't," I stared back at her. "You need me."

"And you need MY protection," Darlene growled.

"I can take my business elsewhere and get protection from someone else," I told her rather harshly. In truth, the reason I picked Number Four, Darlene Zhaniery, was because she was the easiest of the top five to deal with. She had a clear mind and a clearer goal, to be entertained. The others can be somewhat difficult to deal with, each with their own problematic hobbies.

Darlene drew back and laughed, her striking red hair fell down her back like waterfall. "What do you want, toy?" 

What a condescending way of agreeing to do me a favour, but then again, everyone in the Forsaken Tower enjoyed flouncing about their superiority in rank.

"Protection of one Silvyr Sealight," I told her. "The current 2969." After all, I couldn't be around all the time to protect that fool, he'd be eaten alive in this living hell if no one looked out for him. A rank in the three thousands was far above what he should've gotten, he'd made himself an easy target, especially once people, notably the various water related tribes, began suspecting that he didn't actually kill that Nymphoria Siren.

"What's this Sea God descendent to you?" she asked as she pushed me onto my knees and slipped a collar over my neck. She reached for a whip and bent the thing to test its flexibility.