Matchmaker

“What would you do without me, V?”

“Wither and die.”

“You’re so dramatic...”

Eddie jumps awake to the sound of vigorous knocking, groans when she feels her head pounding – though, half a bottle of brandy will do that if your very own symbiote is absent to help. Eddie grumbles under her breath at the thought of the idiot black mass of alien... goop. The knocking on the front door only increases in volume and makes Eddie curse to herself as she shoves back her covers and pulls on her robe.

“Gimme a minute!” Eddie snaps out, mumbles, “fuck me” to herself as she shuffles out of her room and over to the front door. She blinks when she sees Anne standing there, looking back at her with a withering look – already... like, what the hell did Eddie do now? She hasn’t even opened her mouth yet.

And there have been no more severed heads left of Anne’s front door step... to Eddie’s knowledge, anyway.

“What’s up?” Eddie tries to put on a cheery front, pretends like she isn’t the miserable and lonely mess she really is on the inside.

Anne clearly isn’t buying it. She knows Eddie better than almost anyone, doesn’t need Venom to tell her how sad she looks. ‘Let me do the talking for now, idiot.’

Venom huffs in her mind, but does as he’s told. Mainly, he can’t help staring at those sad, but ever lovely eyes of Eddie’s.

“You look like shit.” Anne says, no teasing or judging, just stating.

Wow. Thank you.” Eddie chides back.

Anne rolls her eyes.

Eddie huffs, tiredly. “What’s up, Annie?” She asks again, now just desperate to slip back into her bed... and sleep the rest of her life away.

Anne knows better, smiles all too sweetly when she slips under Eddie’s arm and walks herself into her best friend’s apartment and Eddie turns to glare at her. “Don’t be bitter with me, because you and VV had a stupid fight.” She scoffs as she plops herself down onto the couch and stares back up at her idiot best friend. “And it is a stupid fight.”

Eddie closes the front door, scowls at her friend as she realises – “He came to you?”

“Obviously.” Anne shoots her dear friend a look somewhere in between fond and slightly saddened. “You really thought he left you?” She scoffs, softer, slightly teasing, but playful.

Eddie shrugs, scowl spreading to the rest of her face. “In comparison to what he knows about me, I literally know absolutely nothin’ about him – so, how the hell would I know?”

Anne rolls her eyes again as both she and Venom watch her shuffle over to the kitchen to turn the coffee machine on.

“Want one?” Eddie motions to the machine, quietly whirring and bubbling away.

Anne nods, shoots her a grateful smile. “Thanks. I got a 2 ‘o’ clock appointment. I need to be as sharp as possible.”

“Anythin’ major?” Eddie throws a mildly concerned look over her shoulder as she potters slowly about getting the mugs and sugar and milk ready.

“No, not a case. Potential new client. Just wanna make sure I leave a good impression.”

“Ah, you will. You always do.” Eddie throws a small smile over to her – and Venom feels himself ache all the more to be with her again.

Anne returns the smile, then, shoots her friend a small smirk as she tells her, “Which is why I came here first. I have something of yours, and as much as I love him, too, I really can’t have any distractions today.”