Balance

Eddie blinks. Stares. Blinks again. Slowly and carefully processes what she’s been told. Then, finally she’s able to put some words together. “How... just... how?” She stares back up at him, doesn’t know quite what to think, or feel. Although, she’s not as panicked as she thought she would be, she’s still reasonably concerned for her friend.

“Carnage was able to form instantly, because he was a mutation, because together, Eddie, our DNA is special... A natural spawn, however, lies dormant until the bond with its host is fully formed. And that can take days, weeks... or months. The longer it takes, the stronger the connection.” Venom explains as he floats in front of her and watches her for the tiniest reactions... mainly to see how horrified she is. Although, he must admit, he feels no such thing, only slight concern coming from her end of their bond... and curiosity.

Eddie nods, though, wears a confused frown. “Is that why you only felt it the first time last night?” She’s curious, but she has to be careful about this if Venom is right.

“I am right, Eddie.” Venom tells her, voice low and serious. “But yes, that is why – I can feel the new symbiote. We are hive, remember? Patrick will be like us soon.”

Fuck.” Eddie whispers, doesn’t know quite what to do. “Do we... kill it?” She knows what symbiotes do to their “parents” by what Venom has told her and by literally almost living it through Carnage.

Only if it tries to kill us first.”

“Fair.” Eddie nods, then, shoots her symbiote a slightly dreaded look. “It won’t... kill Patrick if we kill it... will it?”

Venom gives a firm shake of his floating head. “I will simply eat it...”

Eddie shoots him a curious glance when she feels an oddly soft feeling through their bond. She doesn’t ask about it outright, not right away anyway. Instead, she asks, “Well, what do we do for now? Does Patrick even know?” She doesn’t think he does, thinks he would have come to her in a panic by now.

“I don’t think so, no. But he knows something is different.” Venom fights back the urge to scoff when she shoots him another curious glance. “You clearly had too much fun to notice, but he was rather jittery tonight.”

Eddie rolls her eyes, but can’t help smirking. “Just because I have a good time without you, doesn’t make you any less special to me, V.” She chuckles when he merely hums in response. Finally then, she asks another question, slowly leads herself up to what she really wants to ask him. “Do you think this new symbiote will be evil?”

Venom doesn’t know why, but he stupidly feels almost stung by her words. That is, until he registers her genuine curiosity through their bond. Still, he begrudgingly manages to say, “Patrick is a good man... as pathetic as he is... so, I am hoping he will be a good influence.”

“Wow. That almost sounded like a compliment to the Detective.” Eddie teases, grins when Venom simply lets out a loud scoff. “So, we just have to keep an eye on him for now. OK... We can do that.” She feels oddly optimistic, and doesn’t dare to question it.

“If the spawn is not evil... can we... keep it, Eddie?” Venom almost melts at her soft smile as she stares back up at him.

“I mean, I don’t think we can ‘keep’ the Detective as a pet, or a...” Eddie’s smile widens, because now seems like the time to finally ask what she really wanted to ask him. “You want a baby, V?”