He asks so plainly, so simply, states more than asks her, yet, Eddie still feels her throat tighten along with her chest at those pretty words – she really does doubt the whole “no literature on my home planet” thing sometimes.

Venom seems to be listening to her thoughts, because he grins rather gleefully and says, “Good teacher. Fast learner.” He chuckles when she only smirks and rolls her eyes at him. Then, he’s back to shooting her that grave look again, his tone more serious as he says, “Knull is only coming for me... maybe if I –“

“If you, what?!” Eddie snaps before he can finish, heart racing hard and painfully, trying not to goddamn break in half, because she knows exactly what he’s thinking.

Venom ignores the pain fizzling all over him, already hears the hurt in her voice, feels it in her heart. Still, he somehow levels his composure as he speaks. “I could find him first. Get to him before he can –“

Eddie is quickly on her feet, glaring right back at him. “Oh, my God! Are you fuckin’ serious right now?! You’re gonna go sailin’ halfway across the universe, huh? On your own, I presume? Good luck with that! You know, the last time you ALMOST managed to kill him was when you were bonded to a fuckin’ Celestial! NOT little old loser human Eddie Brock!”

“Eddie –“

“No! Fuck you! You wanna leave so bad? Fine! Then, go now, and let’s not waste anymore of each other’s time!” Eddie is trembling all over, tears bunching up, she turns away from him before that can happen, feels them roll down her face as she storms into the bedroom and slams the doors shut.

Venom stares after her with wide eyes, because what the fuck just happened?

OK, totally his fault, but fuck, it was just a suggestion!

Still doesn’t make him feel like any less of a dick though. A big, fat guilty dick.

In her room, Eddie is halfway through slipping out of her jacket and angrily throwing it onto the floor when she feels it... feels him leave her...

It feels like a punch to her gut. A tear in her heart. An unpleasant itch under her skin. A loneliness in her head...

Eddie doesn’t bother checking the rest of the apartment for him, she knows he’s gone. Instead, she, rather numbly, shuffles over to her bed before face-planting it... and hopefully suffocating herself...

●●●

Anne chuckles, more amused than aroused by the rather cheesy line Dan gives her.

“What?” Dan winces as he notices her expression. “Was that too much?”

“No.” Anne laughs. “Just not...”

“Sexy. Got it.” Dan nods.

Anne wonders just how she got so lucky to have a man so ridiculously perfect all to herself. “Don’t worry, babe, you’ve still got them magic fingers–OH, GOD, WHAT IS THAT?!” She squeals, almost spilling their wine glasses as she hurries to stand from her chair.

What?!” Dan is slightly panicked as he rises from his seat, too, somehow manages to keep the glasses from tipping as he does.

“I felt something crawling on me! It felt like a spider!” Anne yelps, glancing cautiously under their breakfast table.

Dan takes a look for her, checks under both their seats. “Nothing there now, sweetheart.” He rubs her shoulders when she tries to shake away the shivers, presses a small kiss to her forehead. “Wanna take this to the bedroom? We can bring the wine.”