Five

That night, Taehyung fed again. The second time in less than twenty-four hours.

As much as he wished to avoid this, this unnecessary sacrificing of another life, he had no choice. When you parted from each other tonight, after he had pretended to sip wine as you ate a light dinner, he had felt ravenous. All he could think of as you spoke of your travels was more. He wanted to fling himself across the long table and drown in your scent.

He had thought more exposure would perhaps reduce your effect on him. After all, he had never had such a potent reaction to any of his human employees. Not even towards Pavel, with whom he spent days and weeks on end when he went on one of his trips. Was it the open air, since Pavel was outside and he, in? Or was it, as he was beginning to suspect, something particular that drew him recklessly towards you over and over?

To his dread, Taehyung felt no better when the blood of the rabbit in his hands trickled into his veins.

He no longer knew how to proceed. How he was meant to face the reality of you in his home day after day, as determined to stay as he was to keep you safe.

But he also knew it had become far too late to let you leave without feeling the loss as acutely as a wooden stake in his heart.