Chapter Sixty-Five

—The Sanctuary, Shadowlands—

When Idelle awoke, she was met with the raised voices of Lulu and Uncle Baloren. Her eyes opened slowly, her vision blurry at first, but slowly, it began to clear. She was wrapped in a warm embrace, a small tilt of her head revealing it was Duncan who held her, his face crumpling with relief when he saw her wake. He called out quietly to someone nearby, but Idelle didn't have the strength to raise her head to see. In a few moments, several healers were all around her, checking her vitals and such to see if she was well enough to stand. They parted, however, when they were joined by Le'Mon, who looked at her carefully and gave her a tired smile. Idelle's eyes flickered to the closed flaps of the tent.

"How long have they been yelling?" she asked, her voice dry and cracked.

"Over an hour," Le'Mon mumbled. "Don't see what good it will do. In the end, Lulu will do whatever she wants."

"And what does she want?"

Le'Mon sighed, coming to sit at the edge of the bed. "The barrier is destroyed beyond repair. To construct a new one would take no less than a decade...time that we don't have. We've managed to make a temporary barrier, but it's powered through our own lifeforce. We're taking turns to see it maintained. To keep powering it, most of us would be dead in a few days."

"Is there nothing else that can be done? Can I help in some way?"

Le'Mon laughed quietly at that. "You really are a hero, aren't you? So unlike Lulu...or me for that matter."

Idelle frowned, shifting in Duncan's hold. "I don't understand."

"Things have looked pretty dire, and for a while, most of us were resigned to seeing the Sanctuary permanently destroyed. The Sanctuary means a lot to a lot of people. Even after all our fighting, all the injuries...We merely had to step inside the Sanctuary to be healed of all our wounds. How could we not be devoted to a place like that?"

"You said 'for a while.' You mean, you've figured out a solution?"

Le'Mon nodded. "One so incredibly simple it was rather humbling to realize we overlooked such an elegant solution. One of your friends, the Witch Queen Isadora, she came not too long ago and suggested that rather than using our aether to power the construction of a new barrier, why not use the Sanctuary itself. From inside, we will be able to construct much faster, and no one needs die for the repairs."

Idelle smiled. "Then, all is well, yes? You can repair the Sanctuary, and I will go far away so that Virmira Tanadall can't use me to drain the aether."

"Yes, all would be well...except your lover is quite adamant that our solution is no solution at all. She doesn't care that the barrier can be rebuilt. She believes that as long as the Sanctuary remains, Virmira Tanadall will continue to try and use you for her own ends. She believes if she destroys the heart of the Sanctuary, the aether will dissipate and you will be free from Virmira Tanadall forever."

"Is that...even possible? To destroy the heart of the Sanctuary?"

Le'Mon nodded. "And the aether will dissipate. Though, whether or not Virmira Tanadall will leave you alone after that, I have no idea."

"I doubt it," Idelle grumbled.

"You need to speak with Lulu, Idelle," Le'Mon urged her quietly. "The heart of the Sanctuary isn't a formless source of aether. It is the wife of the King of Bones, Aer'Avyn. Her aether has protected and enhanced the Umbra since the beginning of living memory. She heals our wounds, eases births, extends life, and rejuvenates the land. She is sacred to us, and she is...everything to the King of Bones. I fear what would become of him if she were lost. Lulu will not listen to anyone. Your Uncle Baloren refuses to do as she asks, but whether she tries on her own or with others, she will die here."