Ill at ease

The sky darkened, one brush at a time, painting blue atop blue into deeper and deeper colors of night.

To remove kinks, the king rolled his neck from side to side. He had a challenging day that day. He underestimated how intelligent the traitor really was. He was so close to getting his hands on him today, but the situation was reversed. He was enraged by the fact that his traitor had anticipated his manoeuvre and had moved ahead of him.

Before getting out of the car, he pushed his head back against the headrest and took a few deep, even breaths.

Ignoring everyone's welcomes he trudged off in the direction of his room. Stress caused him to hunch his shoulders.

He immediately turned the doorknob in order to feel the comfort of his bed, then slumped onto it and squeezed his eyes closed. Currently, that was the only thing he wished to accomplish!

While the traitor's thoughts never left his head, he experienced a sense of emptiness. There was an omission.

In attempt to glance around, he sat up, rolled his shoulders back, and squeezed his shoulder blades together.
'What wasn't there?'

"Shanvi" a low whisper left his mouth.

He called her in a groggy voice, assuming she must be in the restroom, but when nothing happened, he got up to check and discovered it was empty.

When he couldn't find her there after checking the closet and the balcony, he pulled out his phone.

'Where has she gone at this hour?' He thought as he glanced at the clock, which interpreted 1:34 a.m.

He left his room while dialling the number and holding the phone to his ear.

"Where is Shanvi?" His voice sounded alert, as if he wasn't tired anymore. Meanwhile, he looked for her in the kitchen before making his way to the living room.

"Hafid, is everything fine?"

"Uncle Najeeb, just tell me where she is," he cut him off, impatient.

Searching through the camera recordings, his eyes widened in shock when he saw something he shouldn't 've watched, not taking too long Najeeb quickly responded to the restless king, as a wicked smile formed on his lips.

"She's in the Abeera Beti's room."

Shoving the phone back into his pockets he took long strides towards Abeera's room. He barged into the room without knocking, causing heads to snap in his direction and eliciting a scream.

Abeera put her hand on Shanvi's mouth in a nanosecond, muffling her scream as she turned around, to hide her bare back.

"Why didn't you knock, Hafid?" Her nostrils widened in horror, and her cheeks turned the darkest shade of pink in embarrassment.

"Are you unable to lock the door?" He stuttered looking away from them, his gaze shifting to the ceiling, the floor, and then the random objects placed in front of him.

Abeera, who was standing behind Shanvi, holding the dress she was trying to zip up, gaped in disbelief. Nobody had the courage to approach him in the way she did. What surprised her the most was The Great Hafid stuttering.

"What are you all doing at this hour?" He questioned them without looking at them.
What drew his attention was the silhouette of other person who stood in awe a few inches away from Abeera and Shanvi.

"You?" He couldn't believe his eyes as he stared at her.

"What exactly are you doing here?" he exclaimed.