Thirty-One: She is Free

Start from the beginning

The two resume walking and then pauses in front the Ghibli Museum.

"In the end, we couldn't visit this museum. Such a shame," Zoe states, squirming.

The group spoke about buying tickets, but they were constantly sold out.

"We'll go when we return."

Her face glows. "Yes. When we return."

They depart the museum.

The ball of fire is not as blazing compared to a regular summer day, as if the universe is kind enough to grant Kaito and Zoe the chance to experience and appreciate the tranquil streets of Mitaka one last time.

They hear bells ring from behind, and the two get out of the way of three elementary children riding their bikes. One of them yells, "Sumimasen!"

(Trans: Excuse me!)

"I really miss riding our bikes," Zoe murmurs.

"Me, too. Those times were special."

"Yes. I don't know how, but it became my favorite part of the day."

Kaito's lips quirk upward. "Same here. I looked forward to it."

"Just you and me."

"Yes. Just you and me."

The walk to the dorm takes them an hour because they stop at every block to reminisce and memorize the route, the residences, the market, the retail stores and everything in between, afraid that some pieces they miss will consign to oblivion.

If only there is a way to immortalize every single place, every word, every sound, every feeling—maybe moving away won't be as heartbreaking. But the pictures they'd taken and her musings written in her journal could only capture so much.

Only time can tell.

"We're here," Kaito utters as they stop at the dorm entrance.

Zoe takes a good scan of the old residential buildings and mutters, "This place is pretty far, isn't it?"

"It is."

"But I liked the bicycle rides and the commute with you," she says. "I loved getting to know you. I loved having our own little moments, Kaito." She leans her head on Kaito's shoulder. "I didn't expect to love my stay here, but it gave me the peace, the lessons, and everything I needed. I'll never forget this experience. This opportunity to meet wonderful people. I've lived the best time of my life."

"So far," he mutters.

"So far?"

"It's been the best time of your life... So far. We'll have better days ahead, Zoe."

A surge of happiness washes over her.

"Together," she adds.

"Together," he reiterates, and he leans in to give her a kiss.

*******

Kaito and Zoe say goodbye to Zhi Ming at the common hall the evening before their flight. They also reveal that they are dating, which doesn't startle Zhi Ming at all. He says he'd seen it coming since the festival. His reaction makes the farewell less sad. 

The time they've shared isn't much, but Zoe is thankful to Zhi Ming for supporting her during the university performance. He's a link connecting her to Kaito, a friend she doesn't need to talk to every day to know he's there.

"At least you're in social now. Wouldn't be hard to keep in touch," Zhi Ming says, munching his onigiri. "I thought I wouldn't be able to convince you."