"Maybe he'll stay sick and... respawn. Then I won't have to do this stupid stuff." A gruff voice scoffed next to them. Turning around, Terik and Janik frowned at the other older child who had participated in their misadventure. 

Marish stood leaning against the library building with his arms casually crossed across his chest. Right away, Terik noticed the now faint purple bruise that stood out on their friend's thin face and winced with guilt. Marish's atta was so mean and always found reasons to punish his children for something. This time it was because of Terik's mistake. He should have taken the little Human back instead of letting him tag along. That would have been the right thing to do. Why was it so easy to know what was the right thing to do after it already happened and nothing could be changed?

At Terik's look, Marish only humphed and lazily looked to the hill, too. How did he act like nothing ever hurt him? Terik knew that under his long sleeves, Marish's arms had more bruises like that. Their atta didn't even bother to use healing potions anymore, because he said that it made little villagers remember their lessons better. Terik was so glad that his atta and most of his friends' relatives didn't listen to that. Some other villagers did, though.

Marish suddenly grimaced with annoyance. "Ugh... Bad luck. Guess they're coming here today, after all."

Turning to the road leading to the wheat fields up on the hill, now Terik and Janik saw several figures coming their way. All three older villagers were coming, even old grandpa Grake, stooped as he shuffled along. And both little villagers walked next to the small figure between them, patiently stopping and watching him, waiting for him to make small steps. From this distance, the only thing that gave away the little Human was the dark brown blot of hair on his head. Otherwise, he looked like a small villager in his robe. Only he walked much slower than before.

Terik looked at the little figure guiltily and waited for them to approach.

It took another long while, since many of the villagers, seeing them, chose to go out of their way and came to greet them, tying them up with a few words of friendly conversation here and there. They were even looking down and smiling at the little Human, who blinked up at them in confusion, not used to so much friendly attention. Finally, the older villager, uncle Beor, nodded to his brother, and uncle Rangil took both little children by their hands and led them to the library, where librarian Fir already stood waiting together with elder Dar.

Uncle Rangil stopped to speak with the other grown-ups, while Margol lead his younger brother and the little Human to the library entrance. Immediately, Terik and Janik went to them, with Marish reluctantly following a bit later. Several other children curiously peeked out of the door but vanished when all of the children got closer.

"Margol? I'm Terik. And this is Janik and Marish." Terik spoke for everyone while the younger villager tensed, throwing up a mistrustful look. Recognizing their names, Margol frowned, sticking out his jaw.

"We are going to help you from now on." Terik offered, honestly wishing to help. The younger villager only scowled and stuck up his chin.

"I don't need your help!" He declared and walked past them, drawing his brother after him. Then, remembering the little Human, a little angrily came back and jerked him by his sleeve to follow, so the child stumbled a little. The spark of interest in his white eyes seemed to have dimmed as he tried to keep up, though with an obvious effort. His face seemed paler than Terik remembered, too.

A little put back by the younger villager's unfriendliness, Terik blinked at them in confusion.

"Well, if they don't want help, then we don't have to help them. Easier for us." Marish concluded with satisfaction and also went inside past Terik and Janik, who still stood, not knowing what to do now and how to follow the directions the adults gave them.