He's Just Like Neil

TW// Mentions of r*pe, sexual assault, mature conversations.

This chapter is one of the more dark and triggering. Do not disregard your boundaries. This one includes attempted sexual assault. Please, take care of yourself. There will be a brief summary at the end of the chapter. I really don't want anyone getting hurt because they wanted to read this.

Max tapped her foot anxiously as she sat outside an ice cream shop. "This is so dramatic..." She said.

"Yeah...Steve means well, he's just not fully aware of how to comfort and interact with people in times of trauma. I'm working on it with him, he's been much better since I got him. He used to be a Chad, it's going to take some work." Dustin explained as if he was talking about a shelter dog.

"Yeah, well he almost caused an accident." Max huffed.

"I know, I nearly shit myself!" Said Dustin dramatically.

Steve came back and placed a large sundae in front of Max. "Here, do you like sprinkles? I told them to add extra..."

"Yeah..." Max looked at the sundae and sighed. "Thanks? Why are you doing this?"

"I uh..." Steve sat down at the table. "I'm not really sure...I just...want to cheer you up."

"I think it'll take more than chocolate syrup and sprinkles..." Max took the cherry off the top and held it. "I don't like cherries."

Dustin took the cherry from her fingers and ate it. "I do!"

Max grinned in amusement, she appreciated these dorks trying to cheer her up. "I'm okay, really. This isn't something you need to stick your nose in."

"I mean, I guess? I guess we don't need to, but shouldn't we?" Steve rested his chin in his hands. "Max, we're here for you. I can't even imagine what you're dealing with. That peice of shit, he- You deserve better, and you don't deserve to be alone."

"I'm not alone." Max pointed out.

"I meant you don't have to suffer alone." Steve frowned. "Is there anything me or Dustin can do to make things easier? I know we can't fix it but...dammit, we need to do something."  

Max thought about it, eyeing her sundae as it melted. She couldn't look at Steve, he was giving her that dreadful look of pity. "Nothing you guys can do will help. What I need is too much."

"Try us." Dustin stated with a serious expression.

"I need a place to stay..." Max tapped on the table with her nails and bounced her knee. "I just don't want to be home. I know it wouldn't be as bad anymore. It's just...The byers weakened me. I don't think I can live in a house without love again."

Steve and Dustin shared eye contact. They were good at communicating with just eye contact. They were both saying "we can't do that" with their expressions.

"I'd love to but my mom would never agree." Dustin shrugged. "I'm sorry. I really, really wish I could help..."

"I know, it's an impossible favor." Max stood up and pushed her sundae towards Dustin. "You eat this, I'm going to the bathroom."

"Max, I can't eat this..." Dustin frowned.

"It's okay, I want you to have it." Max insisted.

"No...THE DUMBASS DIDN'T GET A SPOON." Dustin elbowed Steve to make him get up. "Do you need to be told everything?!"

"Ow, okay!" Steve ran back for a spoon.

Max let out a small breathy laugh and made her way to the bathrooms. When she got there she just stared at herself in the mirror. She thought seeing herself would stop the tears. Seeing yourself cry is one of the most uncomfortable things to endure. It didn't help, Max stared crying. Thankfully the bathroom was empty.