Getting Off Easy

TW: mentions of Abuse, Sexual assault, miscarriage

Jonathon and Will got back a couple hours later. By that time Max was ready to go home again.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay?" Jonathan asked, knowing what Max had been through.

"I'm sure, thanks." Max walked towards the door and waited for Lukas to follow. "Bye El."

Jane waved goodbye as Max and Lukas left the house. Once they were gone, she looked at Will. "How was the movie?"

"It was awesome!" Will exclaimed happily.

"That's good..." Jane smiled and walked to her room to call Mike, hoping he would be able to answer.

-

"You sure you'll be okay here?" Lukas asked while standing in front of the door with Max.

"He's still in police custody, I'm okay for now." Max leaned on the door. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, of course. I know I keep repeating myself but, are you okay? You look really uncomfortable." Lukas could see by her facial expressions that she was in physical pain.

"Period cramps, you know?" Max turned the doorknob.

"Oh right, that sucks...do you want me to stay with you for a bit longer? It's not that late." Lukas didn't want to leave her, it didn't feel right.

Max chewed her lip anxiously. "You'd have to go through the window. My mom doesn't seem to care, but my brother would lose his shit."

"I don't mind" Lukas said quickly. "You go on in, then come to the window to help me up." Lukas went around the house to Max's bedroom window.

Max stared off into the sunset for a few seconds. Wondering how the world could be so cruel yet so good to her. Lukas was too kind, she knew she'd break him one day.

Max went inside and slowly made her way up the steps, unfortunately not unheard.

Billy came out of the living room to scold her. "Where have you been? You're not supposed to be leaving the house right now."

"I wanted to see my friends..." Max sighed.

"The police showed up, but you weren't here. Do you know how bad that looked?" Billy glared at her like he was about to start channeling his father.

"Oh? I didn't expect them to." Max took a couple more steps.

"He admitted to doing it." Billy mumbled bitterly. "Your mom's been crying hysterically for hours."

Max's mouth fell open in shock. She couldn't believe Neil would confess when things were going right for him, he must of felt remorse. "He... Admitted to it?"

Billy scoffed and walked up the steps. He stood at the top and looked at Max. "Yeah, turns out my father is a bigger jackass than I thought...why the hell didn't you tell anyone sooner?"

Max finished walking up the steps and stood in front of her stepbrother. "It's not that easy..."

"3 months Maxine...3 MONTHS!" Billy grabbed her shoulders and shouted at her. "For 3 months you let him do that, and you said nothing! Did you enjoy it?!"

"What? NO!" Max forced her brother's hands off her. "It's NOT that easy! He's been hurting you for years, you NEVER told anyone!"

Billy went silent, but it wasn't the good kind of silence. Finally he spoke again. "You little bitch..."

Max turned quickly and ran to her room. She slammed her door and locked it before Billy tried to follow. She went to the window after nearly forgetting, and helped Lukas pull himself up.