Driving With The Babysitter

TW// mentions of r*pe

Again I'm feeling a bit off so sorry if parts of this chapter suck, or don't make sense.

Max rested quietly on El's bed, grumbling as her whole body ached. It had only been a couple days since the incident. A knock broke the silence. "Yeah?"

Joyce walked into the room with a strange expression. It was a mixture of pity, sadness, betrayal, and relief. "Hey honey, how are you feeling?"

"A lot better than yesterday..." Max responded with a shrug.

"That's good..." Joyce walked over to the bed and crossed her arms. "You know, we talked about you going home..."

"I know..." Max looked up at the ceiling. She wasn't allowed to stay with the byer's anymore. Joyce and Hopper were trying to protect their own kids. They saw Max as a troublesome influence. "I understand, I just want to apologize again. I didn't mean to cause all that."

"I forgive you, but you can't stay here." Joyce uncrossed her arms. "I'll help you pack your things. You'll be safe with your mom, right?"

"Yeah, thanks..." Max knew her life would become a living hell again, but she had no choice. If she didn't stay with her mom, she'd be in foster care. She could end up with foster parents worse than Neil.

Will came into the room without knocking. He wasn't in school today because Joyce let him take a mental health day. "Hey Max, are you feeling okay?" He watched as his mom lovingly folded Max's clothing, before putting them in her bag. "Oh...Are you leaving today?"

"Yeah, I think so." Max sat up and groaned. "I feel like I was ran over."

"Well that's not good." Will walked over to Joyce. "Mom, I'll help her pack."

Joyce smiled and handed everything over to Will. "You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Thanks sweetie." Joyce ran her hand through Will's hair before leaving the room.

Will continued packing. "If it means anything...I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go either." Max got off the bed and collected some of her scattered things. "I deserve this though. I was so stupid."

"Yeah...it was pretty stupid, but not entirely your fault. Mike lost his mind. I don't know what happened, but he isn't himself...I swear I didn't fall in love with a psycho." Will started tearing up will packing Max's things.

"Tell me about it. I never liked Mike much, but I never thought he was crazy. You think El will be okay?" Max couldn't imagine how Jane felt about the situation.

"Well, she went to school today." Will shrugged. "Mike being sent away will be good for everyone. I won't have to worry about seeing him, El will learn to breathe without him, and you won't have to be assaulted again."

"Mike's lucky to still be alive...Hopper is still fuming. Last night he got so mad at Jane, remember?" Max tilted her head. "He shouted at her for dating a boy like that. Called her an idiot, clueless. For a second he sounded like Neil."

Will shook his head. "No, Hopper isn't like your step dad. He was mad because he cares. Who's to say Mike wouldn't of hurt El too? She can be a little clueless..."

"I guess..." Max sighed. "Guess I'm back with my mom and Billy today."

"You'll be safe, right?" Will worried.

"Yeah, I've handled worse. I can handle Billy on his own. Plus Neil isn't around to piss him off 24/7. Who knows, maybe my brother has improved." Max scoffed at the thought. "yeah right, I'm dreaming."