That love brings

Once again, I awaken to find myself a spectacle for the Fae to behold. The only difference this time is that they all look at me with poorly disguised disdain, wrinkling their noses and trading whispers that cannot be anything more than malicious.

They are the Day Palace fae. 

Before me, on a raised section of the floor, are four fae that have their gazes angled down and towards me. 

I recognise Azade, with his cunning eyes and serpentine smile. He is seated beside Haidah, and the contrast in the appearance of their skins makes him look like a relic. His gaze is a mocking one, like he knows something that I do not.

The other two fae are not people that I recall, most likely because I have never seen them before, or taken notice of them. But these ones have their lips tightly pressed together, and eyes wide. Almost like they are . . . scared? The language of their bodies is stiff, unlike their more relaxed comrades. They do not look as young as Haidah, or old as Azade. With the way the man's hand clutches that of the woman, they might be a married couple.

'Do you know why you are here, you useless mortal?' Haidah asks, cutting cleanly through my thoughts.

I rise to my feet, eyes fixed on the one person I’ve grown to greatly dislike over time. My ferocious gaze seems to take Haidah by surprise, but it is soon covered up by a lopsided grin.

'I have done nothing wrong,' I reply.

Haidah tuts, like a mother reprimanding a child. 'But you have done something wrong, human. You have been a nuisance since the moment I met you.'

'Why? Because I'm human? Or because of Seryn?'

Haidah brings her hands together in mock appreciation. Even as she does so, there is a hint of bitterness and jealousy in her gaze. 'Look at you, calling a king by his first name.'

I only blink in response, offering no words to the woman. The mention of Seryn has suddenly reminded me of my important objective. 

'Let me go. Do not waste any more time here simply because of your bruised ego,' I say after a long pause.

'Why? So that you can go running to your precious king?'

Time is running out. There is no time to babble about trivial matters while Seryn could be . . . No. I won’t allow myself to think of such. He has to still be alive, but I can’t tempt fate. I have an inkling that if these people know just how important it is that I see Seryn, they will not let me leave. I have to change my approach.

'Look, I'm a worthless human.' My insides churn at the statement, but this is no time for pride. 'So just . . . let me go and continue living my worthless life.'

Haidah isn't buying the statement. Her eyebrows flatten against her head. She brings a hand under her chin in thought. 'How far are you willing to go to return to your doomed king?'

I do not hesitate. 'Anything. Just let me go. Please.'

Haidah gives a satisfied smile, but her eyes are cunning, and I know that it only means that I’ll have to do something that I’ll most definitely regret. But regret is worth it if I can get to Seryn on time.

'Fine.' Haidah reclines in her seat, crossing her legs and pointing one in my direction. 'Lick my foot like the worthless human you are, and I will let you return to your king.'

'Who will not be king for much longer,' Azade adds, raspy voice vibrating with something proud and sinister. His following cackle is like that of an old, dying parrot.

I clench my fist, swallowing back the wave of anger pushing violent words to her mouth. Maybe I’ll just bite Haidah's big toe off when I’m done. 

No, that will not help matters. I nod, not necessarily in agreement with the order given, but rather in acceptance of the fact that it’s what I have to do in order to have a chance at seeing Seryn again.