Can only be set free

I wake up on a bed far softer than anything I’ve ever slept in. But this is not my bedroom in the village. I hop off the bed but my movements are too sudden, and I have to fight off a wave of dizziness as a result.

The canopy bed is beautiful, with vines climbing up the bedposts and little vibrant flowers sprouting out at its corners. It boasts of the finest wood and superior craftsmanship.

The betrayal of my half-sisters stings, but I push the invading thought away. I don’t need to care about people who have done wrong by me. It seems like life wants to punish me for feeling too deeply. After Father's death, I had begun to question the purpose of love in a person's life. The pain of losing a loved one is never easy, but it wouldn't be present if there was no love in the first place. Can love ever bring anything else but despair at its end? My sisters that had thrown me to the wolves had created another deep cut in my heart. But maybe it is a sign that I have to be heartless.

My eyes wander, taking in everything they can. The window only shows a dull kind of weather, one where you cannot expect rain or sunshine wholeheartedly.

A knock comes on the door, and my thoughts float away like dandelions in the wind. Who can that be?

When I pull the door open, I stumble backwards. It’s the last person I want to see. However, the king simply walks into the room with his eyes fixed on my form and mind likely oblivious to my contempt.

'Why did it take you so long to respond, mortal?' he says, face expressionless. Is his face permanently in such a state?

I cough, pushing my curiosity away and remembering my decision to keep people at arm’s length. ‘I was startled. I don't know where I am and I didn't know if it’d have been safe to respond.'

'You are at the Night Palace, my palace. No harm may come to you here,' he says, but it doesn't soothe my doubts, because his voice is devoid of any form of comfort, like he is just saying it because he can. 'And as you well know, Ssenkrad has rules that keep it safe from bothersome mortals such as yourself. Similar to that, this palace also has rules.'

I nod, reluctant to agree with him, but it is better than angering him and getting cursed or thrown into somewhere far less pleasing.

'One, as long as you are here, do not allow yourself to wander into unknown places. This palace contains numerous artefacts that could very well harm you if you are not careful. Two, do not attempt to leave this palace on your own.' He points at the black ring on my finger, 'That ring, as long as it remains on your hand, will offer you protection, as well as let me know where to find you if you try to run away.'

'But you said no harm can come to me here. Why do I need protection?'

The king blinks. 'Just like that fae that wanted you and your sisters executed, there are more who despise humans, and will not hesitate to hurt them.'

'Even while I'm here?'

'Yes.'

He leaves after that as swiftly as he had come, leaving me with more questions than answers.

A little while after his departure, a light rustling comes outside the door. I go to see what it is, and come across a tray full of some bread, meat, a creamy paste I assume is sauce, and a jug of water. No one else in sight.

The immediate growl in my belly reminds me that I have not eaten since the previous day. I pick up the tray, give thanks to the empty hallway in case there is someone listening nearby, and return into the room to eat.

After the warm meal, and a quick bath, I decide to return the tray and its empty contents back to where it likely came from: the kitchen. The only problem is that I have no idea where it is, and with the king's warning to be careful of wandering about the palace still fresh in my memory, it doesn’t seem like a completely good idea.