Extra# Little 'Su Ying'-(3)

Su Lan and Zhang Lei's new married life was quite simple yet happy. Zhang Lei usually farmed in the fields inherited from his parents and Su Lan's grandfather. Sometimes he would go to the mountain in the back of the village to hunt. His income was stable enough for the family of two to pass their days smoothly while saving money.

At the beginning, Su Lan stayed at home most of the time. Every afternoon, he would go to the fields to give Zhang Lei food. Zhang Lei was worried that Su Lan would have a heat stroke trotting around under the hot sun. So he carefully made him a huge hat with straws. Since then, all the villagers farming at the fields will see a little straw man come to give food to his husband.

Later, Su Lan learnt some crafts from the village aunties. It turned out that he had quite the talent in that area. Pottery, stitching, making things out of bamboo and many more. He would sometimes craft beautiful things and let Zhang Lei sell them in the town. It did earn them quite a fortune.

On top of that, Su Lan knew how to read and write. He wasn't that knowledgeable. But compared to the villagers who didn't know how to recognize a single word, it was enough. So he would sometimes teach the village people for free or read documents and letters for them.

Like this, they ended up spending a whole year together. It was wonderful how both of them ended up becoming an important part of their lives in such a short time.

One particular evening, Zhang Lei came home from selling things in the town. He had earned a lot that day, so he ended up buying some small gifts for Su Lan.

"Ah Lan! I'm back."

Su Lan was stitching in their small courtyard. Hearing Zhang Lei, he raised his head and smiled at him.

"You're back."

Zhang Lei went around and sat next to Su Lan.

"Look, look what I bought for you."

Su Lan took the small bag from Zhang Lei's hand and took out the things from inside.

"New stitching kit?"

"Yes yes, the one you're using isn't that good, it's old and rusty. This one is better." Zhang Lei said.

"And these fabrics?"

"Well, the weather is getting colder. This fabric is new in the market. It's both soft and thick enough. It also looks good and isn't too expensive. Ah Kang and them bought similar fabrics for their wives. What other peoples' wives have, my wife should have too. In fact, this one is better looking than the ones they bought. You can make a cloth out of it. There's too much fabric here. So after making one for you, there should be some left. You can make a shirt for me out of it. Then we can wear matching clothes."

Su Lan laughed at Zhang Lei's words.

"And this?"

"This is a new type of snack. It's sweet, I know you like sweet things. It's quite expensive though. So I only bought a little. Try it."

Su Lan tried the snack. It was sweet and savory. He smacked his lips.

"Really good. Try some?" He said as he put a half eaten piece in front of Zhang Lei. Zhang Lei also skillfully took a bite of it from his wife's hand.

"Umm… Good." Zhang Lei continued to say in a proud tone, "Do you like my gifts?"

Su Lan smiled. "I like them. Thank you."

Zhang Lei nodded shyly. "No thank you. I gifted my wife because I wanted to. No need for thanks. You… You can give me a kiss if you really want to thank me."