21) Protection

Agatha and Evelynn pushed past people on the stairs up to the weapon room. Evelynn hitched her skirt, not afraid to elbow anyone in the way.

Tedros had already opened the room, and was passing various weapons to the ever boys that lined the stairs.

When Evelynn reached him she snatched the set of bow and arrows that were currently in his hand. "Tedros this is dangerous."

He frowned. "I thought you wanted us to attack."

"I know but-"

"You can't have those bow and arrows. You can't handle it."

Evelynn scoffed. "Actually, I did archery in Gavaldon."

"Fine." Tedros turned to face the line of boys down the stairs. "Head down to the bridge! Wait for me down there!" He shouted.

Chaddick was at the front and nodded, leading the group back down the stairs.

Tedros scanned the shelves of weaponry searching for a suitable shield.

"Tedros listen to me." Agatha said, stepping into the room behind him. "You can't fight these people, you can't hurt Sophie."

He laughed, picking out a shield and knocking it with his fist. "Look, I'm sorry Agatha but she's evil, you'll see that soon too."

Agatha gave Evelynn a desperate look, searching for back up.

Evelynn pursed her lips. "Tedros, don't kill Sophie. Agatha, we're not going to stop them from attacking."

Tedros sighed. "Fine. I won't kill the witch. Unless she tries to kill me first."

He walked out of the room and slammed the door, shutting Agatha inside.

"Tedros!" Evelynn exclaimed, reaching for the door. "What are you doing?!"

He blocked her from opening it. "I'm protecting her."

Agatha starting banging her fists on the wood from the other side, shouting.

Evelynn grabbed his arm, trying to get past him to the door. "What?! Why?!"

He clasped her shoulders, looking into her eyes. "Everyone needs protection."

Evelynn felt so confused, and outraged. "But not me?"

"You're strong Evy, you can protect yourself, with you talent. And your...arrows."

He glanced to the quiver she'd already slung onto her back.

"Agatha's going to get hurt trying to protect Sophie. I'm only keeping her safe."

Tedros's desperation to protect Agatha made Evelynn feel queasy inside, was he beginning to truly care for her?

Evelynn stepped away from him, shaking her head. "It's not right to keep her in there."

Tedros had already locked the door, and he glanced to the floor, running a hand through his hair. "I don't have time for this Evy. I need to lead the others. I trust you're fighting with us?"

Evelynn didn't reply, and the two exchanged a long, painful look, recalling the past they had. They'd exchanged so many long looks, but this was different, as if they were finally on a mutual understanding.

Evelynn couldn't help herself, she hugged him. He'd just locked her friend in a cupboard, was about to start a mini war and she was hugging him.

Tedros inhaled sharply, before hugging her too. He rested his head in the crook of her neck like he always used to, running his hands  across her back like he used to.