Chapter 60: The End

~~~Maria, Day 4

As I look at the beautiful ring, I see myself, completely enamored. I see myself, ready for everything and then I think, how will I handle this? He loves me and my heart skips a beat every time I see this ring. How can I do this to myself? Can I truly afford to be happy right now?

In the moments I think about him, I hear his voice. 'Maria, I wanted to let you know today will be the day.' I begin to hyperventilate a little bit as I then say, "I know and I can't wait." I say, excitedly, looking at his beautiful brown eyes. "Are you sure, though? We can take more time."

Then I feel his lips press up against mine, 'It's time to go, my love.' He says to me. 'I want you to know that you're the most important woman to me. Now, let's go get our marriage license.' As we both begin to leave, I was giddy with excitement. I began to move more than I should have because I couldn't wait. I was excited.

As we make our way to the courthouse and wait in line, I find myself, nervous, thinking about him and how he wanted to do this. I did not think we would truly do this, but he wants to get married. He wants us to be happy. It was then that we took a detour and we went back to the store and then I saw it.

His entire family was there and then my cheeks got red as I said, "You didn't." He said, 'Yes, of course, I did.' At that moment, I kissed him. 'Just the way you wanted. Something small and something that's just for us.' As Booker and Belle were looking at us, I could also see Gregor and the others. Even some of my men decided to come.

After we made our way inside, I saw Veronica. One of the High Table members was here. My eyes widened as I did not quite understand why she was there. She smiled as she said, 'I think it's prudent that we all talk after the festivities. You also have an excellent family, Maria. I'm happy to be acquainted with them.' Afterward, something made my skin crawl because I knew this was a ploy.

It's then that Booker grabs my hand as he says, 'I'm with you all the way.' He didn't know the full truth, but he allowed himself to have an open mind. He then said to me, 'I don't know everything but I want you to know that I'm here because I love you.' Knowing all of this, I knew how prepared he was. It's then that Veronica says, 'I'm glad to see that you've worked out a lot of your business but I need you to know that the High Table will be expecting you.'

It's then that Booker says, 'I understand that this isn't proper, but could we talk before the festivities begin rather than after?' I didn't expect Booker to be so forward. It's then that she smiles and says, 'I like a man who can cut to business.'

He smiles and says hello Miss Veronica, I look forward to getting to know you. A small smile crept across your face, everything was working perfectly. Almost too perfectly, it was nothing that couldn't be handled. It was then that something compelled me to check my phone, as I looked down at my phone, I see a message. "Your boyfriend won't take the bullet this time." It's then that I saw Joe disappear where did he go?

As I looked for Joe, I could see Veronica noticing me being distracted. It's then that she says, 'Where's the lady of the event going?' I smile as I say, "I'm just looking for Joe." It's then that she says, 'Oh, Joe? I'm quite sure he's just taking a walk or something.' I take a moment to think, why would he leave now without making himself known? I look at the cake that everyone's about to bite and I smack it on the ground.

"Who ate the cake?" I demanded. I look at Belle's plate and I realized she finished hers. Then I looked at Booker's plate. He didn't bite his yet thank god. "What's in the cake?" I say to her. She looks at me, curiously and says, 'I don't know what you mean. I thought you all had the cake ordered.' My eyes widened. The cake wasn't there earlier and if she didn't do this, where did it come from?

It's then that I get a call from Joe. 'It's either you eat the cake or I shoot you all. No one leaves alive.' Veronica's eyes looked worried for a second but something about her didn't feel right. Why did she make herself known so what changed? What am I missing?

Then it came to me. My father showed up to get me introduced to the High Table and I've had an assassin trying to kill me multiple times and they only just realized now was the best time. On top of that, I've had multiple attempts on my life happen and I couldn't find out who. Then it all made sense.

The High Table wanted my resources and the only way they could get to my resources was by feigning me. Once I got married and got my resources in check, they would take them legitimately that way they could establish a proper foothold. I then pulled my Makarov out and pointed it at Veronica. It's then that she realized.

"I knew this was too easy," I said in a cold voice. 'Maria, what are you?' "Did you eat the cake?" I say to him. He says 'I didn't even know there was one here.' "Call the hospital right now!" As he began to dial 9-1-1, I had to realize I was in love because I made a choice. I put a gun to her face and say, "If anyone dies because of this, I'm going to kill you all." 'Well, it's too late for that.' Veronica says in a snide tone.

I hear a vehicle pull up and then I turn. Joe had a machine gun targeting the place, he had a smile on his face to match. Before anything else could happen, another car crashed into him, a cop car and I saw someone with sniper precision start shooting at Joe in the middle of the car.

To my surprise, I got a text message. 'You'll be paying me double from now on to protect your family.' As I hear sirens pulling up, I see Veronica's eyes widen as she then says 'Traitor' in Russian. I smile as I say, "I guess everyone's in the mood for a betrayal,' and then I paint the walls with her brains.

As police begin to pour in, I put the gun down. I know without a shadow of a doubt, I'm going to jail.

~~~3 Months Later

As I sit in my wedding dress, I couldn't help but look at my ring. 'Are you ready?' I hear Belle say. "Yes, I am." I look in the mirror once last time, taking in the beautiful porcelain white wedding dress that was made for me, how the immaculate pearls glistened off the light. I look at how the dress was slim and accented my figure beautifully. I felt like I was fat but I was told I looked beautiful.

The dress flew down and was gently gliding on the ground. I looked at my beautiful red lipstick and the white flower that was on my dress. It was then that Belle put a white tiara on my head and as I looked at her beautiful eyes, I saw her smiling with pride as she says, 'You look beautiful, Maria.' I say, "Thank you."

I think about the events that happened that day, I think about how the only reason why I got off was because of a lack of evidence. The police poured in but the gun disappeared and somehow, there were multiple warrants for Joe and Veronica in the FBI system. It turns out O'Brian was a triple agent and that wasn't even half of it. The biggest news to me that completely blindsided me was that Keisha was dating O'Brian's father.

I take a minute and I still try to digest that information but O'Brian was just as shocked as I was and it was a wonder why Keisha avoided so many charges. I think it was because O'Brian didn't want to file the paperwork but that wasn't the whole story. As I walk down the aisle, I see O'Brian and Keisha, and his father sitting on one side. Junior and Belle were sitting on the same side as them. O'Brian has a knowing smile as he nods.

We had different people here at the wedding, even some of the lawyers who came from earlier, and as the wedding began, I could see how happy Booker looked as I couldn't take my eyes off of him once I saw him and then I saw a genuine tear go down his eyes. I could feel him thinking I was the most beautiful woman in the world and that was the most handsome man in the world.

I realized Booker had developed a good friend, too. Lucian had decided to bake the cake for us. Ever since he heard of everything that went down, he has been by Booker's side for the longest and the two had developed quite a friendship. Booker and Belle found themselves, getting along with their mother again after some therpary and trwoth. This was the happy-ever-after I was looking forward to. As I keep walking, I look at him and I focus on his handsome face. As we keep making eye contact, I find myself focusing on the vows that I am about to swear to I'm about to give everything to him. He is about to give everything to me, and I truly feel myself falling in love.

End Of Chapter 60: The End