Chapter 45.1- Slave

Currently, Cheng Sijie strutted in his ceremonial robes. At the main hall, he received Yuan Rong and Ji Huan. Qi Yunruo? He wasn’t worried about him. There was no way he could escape. Without the master keys, he could not leave the gates of the palace. If Qi Yunruo entered the secret pathway, he could only walk around in confusion.  

Cheng Sijie said in a dignified manner, “I was sick these past few days and have neglected the envoys greatly. If my subjects have done or said anything wrong, may you gentlemen not take it to heart.”  

Yuan Rong said, “Since Your Highness has personally come to receive us, this subordinate will once again list the conditions—”  

“I understand your intention. No need to repeat it,” said Cheng Sijie with a smile.   

The moment Cheng Sijie had appeared, Ji Huan knew there’d be trouble. With Cheng Sijie around, Tan Qiao was nowhere in sight. This confirmed his suspicions: there had been a struggle between the king and his subject prior, and Cheng Sijie won. But Ji Huan rather dealt with Tan Qiao. Cheng Sijie indeed was too diffcult to handle.  

Cheng Sijie said, “However, from what I know, there should be many misunderstandings.”  

Ji Huan frowned. “What does Your Highness mean?”  

Cheng Sijie lightly coughed. “Let’s talk about Xinyuan Country providing the Qiang with provisions first. That wasn’t done by our initiative. Rather, we had no choice but to. The two Sir Envoys may not know, but Xinyuan Country are neighbors with the Qiang, and my civilians survive by farming and doing business with them. Our army is only to protect our border and is small in population. Our weapons are poor in quality. We cannot win against the Qiang in a fight. If we suddenly stopped providing them with rations during the war, perhaps the savage Qiang people will see us as the next target. Unlike Great Kang, we do not have a place like Yushu Pass, which is easy to defend but difficult to besiege. The land of Xinyuan Country is flat and cannot guard against a hundred Qiang calvary soldiers. Our Xinyuan Country can merely eke out a living under the feet of your distinguished country and the Qiang. It is truly difficult to do.”  

He talked and talked, and was practically in tears. The corners of Yuan Rong and Ji Huan’s lips twitched. The faces of the other Han subjects of Xinyuan Country showcased their embarrassment. There were also people like Shangguan Yao, whose belly shook from laughter.

Cheng Sijie actually used his sleeve to wipe his eyes. Choking with emotion, he said, “A strong country like Great Kang wouldn’t understand the hardships that our small country must go through.” 

Yuan Rong was at a loss. But Ji Huan said, “Since this is the case, why not have Great Kang absorb Xinyuan Country? In the future, if the Qiang dares to try and take over ten feet of your land, then let us know so we can send troops to protect you. In the future, with Xinyuan Country relying on Great Kang, no one would dare to take advantage of you.”  

Cheng Sijie’s expression froze. His gaze, which had fallen on Ji Huan, proved cold enough to freeze. But in the blink of an eye, such a look vanished. He warmly said, “Many thanks for the concern of you gentlemen. Although my Xinyuan Country is small and our voice weak, I strive to keep it going. There is no need for Great Kang to worry.” 

“Then what does Your Highness have to say about Xinyuan Country ambushing General Si De?” asked Ji Huan.  

Quick as lightning, Cheng Sijie said, “Our Xinyuan Country has been framed! Xinyuan Country has never sent people to ambush the army of Great Kang. If these gentlemen have any evidence of this fact, please show it. Do you gentlemen know how I received my injuries? It was because I knew someone was pretending to be my country’s people, committing the crime of attacking allied nations. So I personally went to investigate. Then people of an unknown origin unexpectedly injured me!”