Chapter 2- Prince Chun

The inner courtyard looked completely different from the outside. The group of women that had trailed Qi Yunruo previously did not follow him within. In fact, other than Liusu and Xiao Siqing, the only people traveling with him were a low-ranking eunuch and two first-rank servant girls. These servants stopped once the group was in front of the Winter Plum Courtyard. The residence in which Qi Niqun would live from now on. Its specifications were a little less grand than that of the Prince's residence, the Ink Lotus Courtyard.

Standing by the entrance was a steward eunuch, Eunuch Gao. As he started to walk, Eunuch Gao said, "By the rules of the estate, the princess consort will have her own residence. The two secondary consorts live in the western Frost Autumn Courtyard together, and the four tertiary consorts live in the back residence, the Sunset Courtyard. There are also three regular concubines who live together in Tinglan House. Besides the prince, the princess consort has the most power and the largest residence. You will be living there as well."

Although Eunuch Gao had said this, in reality Qi Yunruo would only be living in the Winter Plum Courtyard by the slightest technicality. A small garden separated his two-room suite on the south side from Qi Niqun's main chamber.

Qi Yunruo didn't pay much attention as he had listened to Eunuch Gao speak. How much he had actually heard was anyone's guess.

Because of this, Liusu shot him a look. She walked up to Eunuch Gao. "Our young master is young and careless. May Eunuch Gao please advise him in the future." Finished speaking, Liusu retrieved a piece of silver from her sleeves and handed it to the steward eunuch.

After receiving the silver, Eunuch Gao carelessly put it away. "Young master will have two people attending to you in your suite. Including miss Liusu, there will be three servants. Everything has already been prepared. This old slave will no longer accompany you."

Qi Yunruo would not be living here for long. His name had been added to the dowry list only recently. As such, it wasn't unusual for the prince estate to not have a proper place for him. Once his sister, Qi Niqun, became familiarized with living here, Qi Yunruo would be pushed out of her residence.

"Have a safe trip, Eunuch Gao," Liusu said as she sent him off.

Meanwhile, Xiao Siqing examined the first small house. Two servants girls saluted them from the inside. "Greetings to young master."

Exhausted, Qi Yunruo sat on the bed provided for him. He swept his gaze through the servants without saying a word. Then he asked, "What will be my duties later?"

Xiao Siqing unfurled the schedule parchment. Took a look. "Today there isn't much to do. However, young master must wake up very early tomorrow to attend to the prince and eldest miss in the morning. And your honored self must also wear a new outfit."

Qi Yunruo asked, "When will eldest miss enter the prince estate?"

"Soon."

Qi Yunruo said nothing. In his heart hid a clawing sort of fear, and a sadness that he didn't know how to put into words. Starting from a month ago, upon waking each day, he would be bombarded by those two emotions. His life inexplicably disrupted, he was now unsure on how to move forward.

The newlyweds would soon arrive at Winter Plum Courtyard, to the main chamber at the front. Qi Yunruo cracked open the window and glanced outside. And he saw the Second Imperial Prince.

After Li Chen had delivered his bride to the room, he shut the door behind him. As he spun on his heel, on his way to the celebratory banquet, Li Chen felt as though someone was looking at his direction. He turned around again in time to catch sight of Qi Yunruo.

The moment their eyes met, Qi Yunruo slammed the window shut.

The banquet stretched on, sounds of cheer and laughter permeating even the walls of Qi Yunruo's small suite. Still, he was able to sleep through the loudest moments. Before dawn arrived, Liusu shook him awake. It was about time to enter the main chamber.