6. Perfect Balance of Darkness and Light - Part 2

Halbrand, by Uzuri Art

Many weeks earlier... It's before the battle of the Southlands, and Galadriel and Halbrand travel on a ship from Númenor. 

🤍🖤

2. Ship

From his sheltered nook on deck, he regarded Galadriel, a silent silhouette against the rising sun. Recently his eyes were often drawn to her, seeking her out as of their own volition. She intrigued him. Or at least her strength did.

He had always been attracted to power. The last time it had been his undoing, but he chose not to dwell on that; now it was he who was the stronger one. He who was in control, able to clench his fist around her neck and break it should he want to.

Not that he did; it would be quite a shame to damage something so pretty.

He still wondered why he had decided to come with her to Middle-earth, now that everything was going favorably in Númenor. It was not like him to be swayed by the pleading of an elf. Perhaps it was from some sort of morbid curiosity, to see what trouble she would get herself into next? So far, it had been highly amusing to follow along – he, her sworn enemy – and watch her bring disaster after disaster upon herself, all the while believing he was her friend.

Ludicrous. He had never had friends and didn't need any.

But he must admit it felt rather nice to be treated kindly by one of her kind. That was a first! And she was not just any elf, at that. Highborn and proud; strong of body and mind; remarkably bright – wise even, when she was not blinded by hatred and lust for revenge. He could only recall having met one elf her equal, and that was her brother.

He felt a twinge of... something. Regret maybe, or even the tiniest hint of guilt. But it had not been his fault, not really. He had followed orders, protecting his master from theft. Finrod's death was his own doing; had he stayed home he might still be alive today.

Curbing the thoughts of Finrod, he returned his attention to Galadriel. Her hair was neatly braided for the upcoming battle, but the wind toyed with a few loose strands that shone as if illuminated from within, blending into the radiance of the breaking dawn. He could not see where one ended and the other began.

The light in her was frightening and tempting at the same time. She was frightening and tempting; representing everything he was not – but also much of what he was, however strange that seemed. Like a bizarre mirror. He must be careful and not gaze too deeply or he may be sucked in, forgetting his plans. It was a fine balance to keep her close enough to observe while at the same time uphold a necessary distance.

A thought struck him. Perhaps he should get close. Win her over to his cause... He had already tricked her into believing they were friends, what if he built on that to make her love him? As her husband his control over her would be absolute.

He envisioned himself as he had looked in his previous form, dark and intimidating, wearing his spiked crown – but with a golden haired bride on his side. His queen, to have and to hold.

It would not be too hard to accomplish, he figured. Even in this lowly form he knew he was considered handsome and charismatic. In Númenor women had turned after him, and he had received the odd invitation to get "better acquainted", which he had supposed meant something carnal. He had turned them down, of course; the last thing he needed was a bunch of angry fathers or husbands on his hands.

Thinking of getting "better acquainted" with Galadriel made his eyes trail from her hair and ruminatively settle on the breastplate that covered her feminine curves. He knew what was beneath; the white dress she had worn on the raft had done little to conceal.

If he seduced her that would all be his, a prospect his present body suddenly seemed very enthusiastic about. He shook his head and smiled to himself, amused about his human weakness. Galadriel's beauty and shapely figure were such a minor part of what made her interesting to him. 

Yet... it would be an additional benefit.

Leaving his hiding place, he went to stand at her side. "Good morning, Galadriel." He put on his most charming grin.

Her eyes filled with warmth. "Good morning, Halbrand."

She looked at him so fondly, and for some reason it made his heart flutter and beat a little faster. Human instincts again, probably. Just the weakness of this body.

He averted his gaze. If he wasn't careful it would not be him snaring her but the other way around... And he couldn't have that happen, of course.

A/N:

A/N:

Halbrand is quite delusional about his feelings, don't you think? And yes, the ambiguous chapter title is intentional. :D

Image Credits:

Halbrand, by Uzuri Art: uzuriartonline.tumblr.com