6. Perfect Balance of Darkness and Light - Part 6

🤍🖤

🤍🖤

Halbrand has an idea about the ring. Or should I say, rings...

6. Rings

The door slammed shut and Halbrand bustled inside, still in his apron, cheeks flushed from the heat.

Galadriel looked up and smiled. She found few sights more enticing than her man after a day's work in the smithy.

"Change of plans!" He grabbed her around the waist and kissed her soundly on the mouth. "We leave tomorrow."

Bewildered, she pulled back. "What? Why?"

"You will see." He grinned shrewdly.

"No, I will not see because you will tell me." She gave him a stern look. "The rings are not finished yet; why would you want to leave now?"

His grin waned. "Must you know everything?"

"I must." She resisted the urge to put her hands on her hips.

"The fewer who know, the better." He glanced at the pale stone wall and lowered his voice. "The room has ears."

"It does not. Why are you so suspicious all the time?"

He shrugged. "It's how I survive."

"Well then." She took his hand. "Tell me outside."

Sighing in resignation he followed.

She led him to their favorite walk by the river, and when they were at the most secluded part she stopped, looking at him expectantly. "Well?"

"I have a new plan. A better one."

"And...?"

"We let the elves have the rings." His eyes gleamed.

"Whatever for? You put a lot of work into this; drawing the alloy together, shaping the mithril..."

"I've realized it's better to deceive than usurp." He pulled her closer, his voice becoming low and dark. "Just think of it, Galadriel. There is no way the high king would allow you or I to have a ring when they are finished, and if we try to take one by force there will be unnecessary bloodshed. But what if we..." His voice sank to a whisper, "...craft our own. In secret. A ring to control the others." He paused. "No. Make that two rings. One for us each."

It was hard to focus on his words when he stood so near and his breath tickled her ear. "How... can their rings be controlled?"

"Ours will be stronger. A ring forged in fire, alloyed with molten lava."

"Lava? You mean–"

"Yes. We must return to my land." He gave her earlobe a nip.

"What of Adar?" Sneaking her hands around him, she stroked his broad back and shoulders. His masculine scent filled her nostrils.