Chapter IX: For the Love of Football

Spencer's POV

Olivia leaving my hotel room in tears breaks my heart into a million little pieces.

But I have to glue it together. At least, for the night. Because, I agreed to meet Christina at a local pool hall in about an hour.

So I shower and change before leaving.

It's only about a block down the street and I walk inside to see her shooting pool.

"How you doing?" I ask as she smiles and kisses my cheek.

I return the gesture and she quickly orders my favorite drink.

"Hey Spence," she greets me before handing me a pool stick to try my luck.

I take the first shot and scratch, horribly before hearing her chuckle.

"I was never much of a billiard's player," I admit.

"Good thing you were a hell of a football player," she tells me. "And evidently, you're one hell of a coach too."

I was a great football player, but an injury to my knee in my fourth year with the Giants ended all of that. Then, it was coaching. Because I needed to be around the game. I loved it too much not to be.

"What'd you call me down here for, Chris?" I ask seriously as I grow tired of her mystery.

She hands me a drink before slightly smiling. "I went to see a divorce lawyer today. And he asked me one simple question."

"And what was that?"

"He asked if we had tried to make it work. And let's be honest Spencer, we just stopped communicating like some high school freshman." She says and I nod with a slight grimace. "We took vows."

"And you broke those vows, Christina," I tell her sternly and she exhales with regret.

"You do realize this means, I could get half of what you're worth!" She tells me and I chuckle.

She always kept tabs on the money. But I looked pass it because I thought I was in love.

"Yeah," I answer and she sighs. "But we can let the lawyers deal with that."

"Well, at least stay for another drink," she suggest. "We can reminisce on the better days between us."

I look at the door with no real place to go and decide to stay. "Yeah, we can do that!"

She smiles before ordering another round. And we spend a couple of hours talking and laughing about our short past.
_____________________

"That was fun," she says as I help her to the Uber she ordered.

"I guess, I'll be seeing you in court," I joke before her head rears back in laughter.

Despite that bullshit, it's good to know we can laugh about our short marriage.

Her arms swarms me in an embrace and I allow her to kiss my lips for what I know is the last time.

"Goodbye, Christina!" I say politely before opening the back door for her to get inside.

I watch as the driver pulls off and that closure was necessary as I focus my mind on the Super Bowl——— and Liv.
_____________________

A Week Later

I arrive to Atlanta yesterday for our press junkets to begin.

It's been years since the New York Jets have made it this far and I couldn't be prouder to be the Coach to lead them to the promise land.