Chapter III: Unpacking

Olivia's POV
Two Months Later

I stretch and yawn as I place the last box on the kitchen counter.

"I can't believe your ass been here for seven months and you're just now finishing unpacking," Patience tells me and I shrug.

"I do have this little thing called a job, you know?"

"Well, I happen to have a job too. And I still have my shit together!" She mumbles and I laugh.

"If I didn't have my shit together, I wouldn't be here."

"Touché, bitch!"

I chuckle before placing a figurine on my desk. "Anyway, I need you to do me a big favor."

"What Olivia?" She asks bluntly. It's almost as if she knows what I need, she won't like.

"I need you to come with me to an interview tonight."

"Oh hell no! I'm not about to pretend to give a fuck about one of those snobby athletes you interview for that magazine." Patience says sternly. "Besides, don't you have interns for that? Make them go so they can get their little college credits or whatever!"

"That's the thing—-apparently, he specifically asked for me. So I figured, he's not a fan of interns or inexperienced journalists."

"And why do you need me to go again?" She asks smartly.

"Because I'm not trying to be giving this guy the wrong impression," I answer truthfully. "You going, makes it seem less personal."

"Who is the athlete?" Patience asks.

"Darnell Hayes of the New York Mets," I answer and her eyes light up.

"Wait, didn't he get Essence Magazine's Man of the Year in 2021?"

"Yeah, I think I read something like that about him," I say coyly.

I've done my homework on Darnell, and he seems like Hollywood's darling. He has charities. He's single. No baby mama. And he's in the beginning stages of signing a huge contract with the Mets.

"Olivia, he's gorgeous! And he's single with no kids. Why the hell don't you want to get personal with this man?" She asks and I frown.

"Because this is my job. Not some hobby I do to get cute boys to notice me.—— You know what, forget I mentioned it!" I try to explain as I straighten the picture on my wall.

"Is this it? Is this why you can't allow some fine-ass, single-millionaire, ball player to take you out?" She asks as she points to a picture of Spencer and myself back in college.

"Loud and wrong again," I say and she sucks her teeth.

"Tell me I'm wrong! Tell me you two never thought about hooking up!" Patience states and I know she won't take leave me alone for an answer.