Chapter IV: Gotta Move On

Spencer's POV
Three Months Later

"Aye Coach, I'm going to be open every damn time! Feed me!" I hear AB yell for the tenth time this game.

We've played four games this season and haven't won any. Yet, somehow, we make sports headlines daily, thanks to AB.

"We don't need this shit right now," I say as AB walks past me.

"We need a fucking win though. So feed me!" He shouts.

I ignore him long enough to notice his equipment flying all over the sideline and his boisterous exit sends the fans crazy.

"What the hell is going on?" I hear President Carter asks as he approaches me on the sideline.

"If you don't mind, I'm trying to win a football game!" I say back as I make a play call.

"You need to get AB back on this field," he shouts and I'm too focused to care about AB and his juvenile tantrum.

"It's the fourth quarter of a twenty-one to twenty football game. And we're losing. Why the hell would I go chasing a grown-ass man to play the game he's paid to play?" I ask as Carter trails me. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm trying to win a fucking game!"

"If you don't win, you're done!" He promises me and I ignore him long enough to see my quarterback throw a forty-yard bomb to an open receiver for the go-ahead score.

I don't bother to look over at the egg on Carter's face as I celebrate with my coaching staff and teammates.

Words can't explain how excited I am. Not because it's the first win of the season, but because Carter put my career on this win like I'm some high school kid trying to make Varsity.
_______________

After the game, I complete my press conference, as I usually do. But my heart won't let me walk out of the arena without addressing President Carter and the stunt he pulled on my football field today.

When I walk into his office, I see him and AB laughing and joking like they didn't just create a circus on my sideline.

"Just the man, I wanted to see," Carter says and I can't wait to hear his bullshit so I can speak my truth. "AB came to me and apologized for his behavior. And he wants you to continue coaching this team."

I chuckle. "Are you serious, Carter?"

"Thoughts?" He asks and I give him the finger, disrespectfully.

"I haven't put my blood, sweat, and tears into this game for you and this joke of a football player to be disrespected this way," I say and they both look surprised. "I've been nothing but patient with you and this organization as I waited on quality players to make this team worthy of the front of the Inquire. And then have the audacity to bring in the biggest joke of the league to show his ass and make headlines for everything, except football."

"What are saying, Spencer?" Carter asks.

"I'm saying, I'm done. You can find yourself another dog to put your fucking leash on," I say as I think about the last time I spoke with him in this office.

"Spencer, let's talk about this!" He urges me and I keep walking as AB sounds off, antagonizing claps. "Spencer, you're overreacting!"

I ignore him and opt to leave. It's something I should've done months ago, knowing this organization isn't dedicated to winning like I am.
____________________

I leave the facility and take two lefts into the city. It's in the opposite direction from my house, but my heart is in complete control of my mind. And I end up at my best friend's doorstep.

Strangely, the door is open. And I weave through delivery guys, who are hustling in an enormous amount of roses.

"Yo, Liv! Where you at?" I shout as I look past a few bouquets and find her standing with a card in her hand.

The smile she's sporting lets me know she's excited about whoever sent these roses.

"What's up, baby boy?" She asks excitedly as she opens her arms for a much needed hug.

"What's all of this?" I ask as I kiss her cheek and let go.

"It's Darnell. He wants to date!" She answers and I let out a dry smile.

"Well, I see that! But I would've just written you a nice letter. Will you go out with me?" I tell her and she just stares at me as I finish. "With the no box, yes box, or maybe box."

"You've always been such a romantic," she says sarcastically.

I hear her sarcasm and smile. But my mind drifts right back to the Giants and the fact that I just quit my job!

"You got a minute?" I ask.

"What's on your mind?" She asks as we decide to take a walk down past a popular pond, just blocks away.

"You remember that time your dad caught us skipping school?" I ask and she cracks up laughing as we sit comfortably on a bench, overlooking the pond.

"Oh my God, I didn't think I would ever get off of punishment that spring," she says and I laugh.

"I swear, I would give all of this up in a heartbeat to have that back."

"You ready to talk?" She asks as she sits up in her seat.

I take a deep breath before letting it all out. "I quit my job today, Liv!"

"Huh?" She asks and I nod.

"Yeah, I put up middle finger and I left. Carter and AB wants a circus and I want to w in a Super Bowl." I state and I look at her blank stare. "And this is the worse time, I know. We just bought a huge house and it was dependent on my income. But I have something in my savings. So I'll be---"

I stop talking as I watch her dig through her handbag and pull out her phone.

"What are you doing, Liv? You think I'm crazy?" I ask and she shakes her head no.

"Hell no," she finally says and smiles. "I think you're brilliant. And I believe in you!"

I breathe a sigh of relief with a huge smile. "Well, what are you doing?"

"I'm making a call. I have great contacts and insiders with the New York Jets. And I believe they'll be looking for a new head coach very soon!" She says with a grin wide enough for the ducks across the pond to see.

"Are you serious right now?" I ask in disbelief of how great of a friend I have.

Olivia has always come through for me. In fact, she was the one who helped me get my first internship as a statistician in college.

"Yes, and I'm sending an email to a friend. So look forward to a phone call or email soon," she tells me and I stand up for the biggest hug I've ever given her in my life.

I spin her and she laughs loudly as I scream in gratitude.

"What? I got the biggest boss in the city on my team!" I scream as on-lookers smile.

"Everything is going to be fine," she assures me before I put her down and she starts to type on her phone.

"Where are you going?" I ask. "Let's go celebrate, baby!"

"Ahhh... No, I can't. I have a date." She responds.

"I guess you said yes?" I ask in shock and she smiles cutely while backing away. "What's this guy's number? I'm going to have to call him and let him know you're busy!"

"Nah, I have to go," she says with a grin and I watch closely as she walks away.

"Really, Liv? Just send me a connect and leave me high dry?" I ask as she moves further out.

"Bye, Spence!" She says with a smile that still has the ability to make my day.

"Liv—-"

"—-Bye, Spence—-"