Chapter II: Unspoken WordS

Spencer's POV
6 Months Later

My palms are sweating as the President of player and coach personnel reviews a folder with the fate of my future sitting at the top.

I'm nervous, but not for the reason one would believe.

I was a receiver coach for three years with the Giants before I became the head coach. And now that I am in charge, I clearly see why this organization hasn't had a winning season since Eli Manning in 2012.

They don't want to pay good players, great salaries. Instead, they want their coaches to make a mountain out of a mole-hill. And because I don't have a magic wand, it feels impossible to do, most days.

"I mean, you know we're pleased with the work you've done. But this is a 'what have you done for me lately' league. The fans want championships. That's what they pay for. It's not about having a  .500 record. So if we're not getting that with you in charge, we may have to consider going in another direction." He explains and I sigh.

"C'mon Carter, you know I'm giving you everything I have out there. And like you said, we're making progress!" I advocate for my position and he just sits quietly while chewing his gum. "Now, the way I see it, we are a safety, tight end and right tackle away from better days."

"And we're working on that. Trust me." He tries to convince me and I force a smile.

It's something about the way his toupee moves when he speaks that doesn't allow me to fully believe in his words.

"Mr. Carter, with all due respect, the front office has had years to get positions filled. I seen it as an assistant coach. Instead, you all splurged on a retractable roof." I tell him bluntly and he looks surprised by it. "I don't know how much longer I can—-"

"—- You can what? Listen! Spencer, you're about to marry a beautiful woman in a matter of days. Stop worrying about football, and let me handle it." Carter encourages me and I take in a deep breath. "We want to see what you have left. And while you're on a very short leash, none of that matters right now because you're about to marry the love of your life!"

I'm an unproven coach in the NFL. In fact, I'm the youngest coach and I have less experience than every assistant coach within the team's division.

"Yeah, well I better get going," I say unenthusiastically and he stays quiet as I leave.

"Now you're talking! Go marry that fine ass woman of yours!" He adds.
_______________

I leave the office and check my watch for the time.

I'm appreciative of my best man and the party he's throwing me tonight. But I'm not in the mood for strippers and dollar bills. I'd much rather walk a few blocks, to clear my mind.

The Giants organization hasn't given me shit to work with, but their expectations are as high as the sky for the team. And no matter what way I spin it, none of this seems fair.

I walk for twenty minutes and find myself standing on the corner of 59th and Lenox.

The light turns green and the red hand on the crosswalk stops my motion. I peep to my left at the brownstone just three units away.

Time tells me I should keep going. But my heart needs something that, half naked women and alcohol, could never give me.

I need my best friend.

So I turn left and it feels right as I walk up the stairs and ring the doorbell to her brownstone.

It only takes a few seconds before I see her silhouette in the window of her front door. And I smile for the first time since leaving Carter's office.