Chapter I: Welcome Back

Olivia's POV

"Yo Liv," I hear as I pack the final box in my downtown Chicago corner office.

"What's up, Spence?" I ask as I tape and label it.

"You know what I need to know, girl!" He says and I chuckle.

"Do you really have me on speaker phone right now?" I ask and he goes quiet for a second.

"Yeah, but it's just me!" He mumbles and I roll my eyes because I know it's the furthest thing from the truth. "Now, tell me something good."

"Not before you tell me something better," I counter, already knowing exactly what he wants to hear me say.

"Tell you what?"

"Tell me I'm the greatest journalist on the planet," I say before hearing snickers from his colleagues in the background.

"Well, you do know I know a lot of journ—"

"—Tell me something, Spencer—- does your coaching staff know you wet the bed until you were twelve?" I ask and laughter erupts on the other end of the phone.

"—-woah, okay! Okay, you're the best journalist in the universe."

"—-And I'm sorry for using my twenty year long friendship with you for personal gain." I say and he tries to stop me.

"You can't be adding stuff, Liv!"

"I have the cover story in my hands. I can easily rip it up."

"No— no—- no—- Liv! I'm sorry for using our twenty year long friendship for personal gain. And I don't know where I would be without you in my life. You're the best." He says sincerely, making me smile. "There! Are you happy?"

I smile and wink at my cell phone, before giggling. "Congratulations to you and your team. You're Sports Illustrated Team of the Year."

I instantly hear cheers through the phone. And it makes me ecstatic that I can help make these dreams a reality for my best friend.

"Yes! That's what I'm talking about, baby girl!" He chants.

"So you couldn't wait another week for the announcement, huh?" I ask as the noise reduces and I can tell he's walked away from his colleagues.

"After a bad couple of games, the team needs a little pick me up. We needed the SI cover. So, I phoned a friend." He tells me honestly. "But enough about that. When are you coming in for the Espys? You know Alex is throwing a pre-party, right?"

"Oh, so now you're on a first name basis with, a Yankee icon?" I ask and he laughs.

"Well, you know how I do!"

I hear his confidence through the phone and it makes my day.

"Seriously though, I'm proud of you!" I admit.

"Me? I'm proud of you, big time!" Spencer counters. "We ain't those kids in Crenshaw anymore. Especially not now... Ms. Top-Editor of Sports Illustrated."

"Says the head coach of the New York Giants," I return the compliment.

"Things are up for us, Liv! Crenshaw's finest, baby!" He shouts and I chuckle.

"Yeah, I guess so!" I say reflectively.

"I'm just happy you're going to be back in the city with me again. I've missed you!" He tells me, seriously.

It's been seven years since we graduated from NYU. And honestly that feels like a lifetime ago. And after a recent job promotion, I'm moving back.

"I know, it still feels surreal," I admit. "But I'll be in the city for the A-Rod party."