~Chapter 29~

~Chapter 29-Epilogue~

~1167~

Lumb had taken over the company, and Deporah served as a manager in a limited capacity. He tried to work alongside everyone as much as he could, but his arm never did regain its old strength after the crossbow incident. He did as much as he could however.

After a hard day's work, Lumb and Deporah walked through the streets of the town of Ragoh. They waved to the simple folk that lived there as they strolled. They shared a sense of familiarity with all of them.

Lumb and Deporah stopped at the blacksmith in town.

A chiseled man and his apprentice greeted them, "Hello! How's your day been?"

"Well enough," Deporah greeted.

"Hopefully, we can make it a little better," the blacksmith said. He gestured to his apprentice, who hurried to the back. He returned with a thin case, which he set out in front of them. He opened it, revealing a sturdy rapier like the one Deporah owned before.

"Will this do?"

Deporah drew the sword from its case, gave it a few swings and thrusts, and tugged against it to test its durability. She nodded, "It's perfect!"

Deporah drew from her pockets a small fortune in a satchel and handed it to the grateful blacksmith. The man looked to Lumb, "We'll have more axe handles for you and your company sent over soon."

Lumb nodded, "Very good."

"Are you looking to bolster your crew?"

"Do you have anyone in mind?" Lumb asked calmly.

"I have a few nephews who could learn from a hard day's work. I'd used them in my smithee, but I have my hands full with my apprentice here."

"Hey!" The young man snapped back.

"You're learning!" The Blacksmith complimented him, "Anyways, do you think you could bring them onto your crew?"

Lumb slipped his hands into his overalls and nodded, "If they're willing to work, of course. Send them our way in the morning."

Lumb and Deporah waved to the two, and they made their way back home. On the way, Lumb picked up a few supplies at the market. One of the women manning the stalls seemed to ogle him as he went about his business, smiling wide when he looked her way. He didn't smile. He simply waved and continued his business.

"You should talk to her," Deporah said as they left the town and walked the dirt road back home.

Lumb simply grumbled in response.

"Come on, why not?" Deporah prodded.

"I'm busy enough with the company and you," Lumb replied in a monotone way, cracking a smile as she looked at him.

Lumb sat in his rocking chair and looked out on the countryside after his work was finished. Meanwhile, Deporah was preparing for a night out. She and a few friends were going to ride to the nearby town for fun. It worried Lumb, but she assured him they'd be back by tomorrow. Soon enough, Deporah took off on her own with her friends, leaving Lumb to relax on his own.

The sun began to set, and Lumb sat up. He gathered up a particular circular log and carried it with him towards the old pine tree sitting at the top of the nearby hill. His mother used to tell him and Urba stories there.

He walked up the hill and found a wooden plaque embroidered in metal with the following words -

Ceptance Dolor

1099-1166

Lumb set the log down near the plaque and sat atop it. He fidgeted in his makeshift seat before getting comfortable. He looked at that little plaque and spoke.

"Hey, mom. Hope you're doing alright. Deporah and I are doing fine."

Lumb twiddled his thumbs and looked around before continuing, "She's going off with some friends tonight. She's a lot like Urba. I would've liked to tell her to stay, but that wouldn't be fair. Besides, she can handle herself."

Lumb tapped his boot on the grass, "Umm... Deporah's been trying to push me to get a wife. But I don't know about that. There's this woman in town who seems to like me, but ... I don't know."

Lumb stopped for a moment, as if waiting for her to respond. "I just don't think I'd be a very good husband is all. I'm too stubborn. You know that."

Lumb clasped his hands together and sat quietly for a moment, enjoying the countryside. The sun struck the horizon and made their part of the world look picturesque and beautiful.

Lumb sighed, "You know, something has been bothering me. Ever since you... died, it seems like the whole world has already moved on. It just feels like there should be more of an impact. Like the world should fall apart without you in it. But... most things are the same. Most things."

Lumb breathed in and out slowly. He stood, tipped the log aside, and sat on the fresh grass alongside the plaque. Alongside his mother.

"I can't help but wonder. Will it be the same when I die? Or when Deporah, or everyone else dies? It just... It makes life feel like a brief spark. We spring to life for a little while before disappearing without a trace... It makes it feel like we're meaningless."

Lumb took another deep breath. He placed a gentle hand on the plaque, as if he was holding his own mother's hand again, "But that's not true. You do mean something. So much. I just want you to know that."

Lumb left his hand on the plaque for a moment, lingering there. Then he stood, picked up the log, and looked down at the plaque, "It was nice talking to you, mom. I think I'm going to turn in for the night though. I'll see you tomorrow. Love you."

Lumb took a deep breath and walked down the hill back home.

Lumb made a point of visiting his mother's grave everyday. Even as decades passed, the people of Ragoh could always see him atop that hill at sunset each day. They say that in his final moments, people found him sitting next to his mother's grave, smiling.