Therapy Session

Therapy Session 

Kai's POV

  Amelia came to my therapy session with me today for moral support, especially given that I'm going to be addressing my parents banishing me from the family due to my sexuality and non-binary identity. I haven't addressed this subject properly and it's long overdue honestly. I take a shaky breath and collapse into a comfortable chair. Amelia sits down next to me and takes my hand in hers. My therapist nods to her with a small smile before shifting her focus onto me. "Kai, I'd like for us to address an elephant in the room that we have yet to discuss, that being about your strained relationship with your parents." 

   I sigh. "I despise talking about my parents due to excess of pain they've left me with, but I suppose you're right." My eyes begin to water and Amelia immediately notices, squeezing my hands gently. I glance at her lovingly before looking back at my therapist. "I came out to my parents five years ago, both about being Pansexual, loving whoever I choose to love, and about being Non-Binary, not having a gender to identify with. Society puts people in so many damn boxes and that just didn't work for me. I struggled for years to accept myself for who I am. Coming out to my parents was a major milestone for me, but unfortunately, they didn't have a positive reaction. My father instantly began throwing offensive slurs at me and my mother was sobbing as if I had just told her that someone died."

    A tear falls down my right cheek. "I'm not perfect, I never have been, but I've always loved my parents. I treated them with nothing but respect, even on the MANY horrible days that we had during my childhood into my adult years. My birth name actually was Kai despite what some may assume. I've always loved my name, I just didn't love being confined to one gender to identify as or one gender to love. It's 2022 for crying out loud, people shouldn't receive so much hate for simply wanting to be themselves or love who they want to love. As long as the partners in the relationships are consenting adults, especially when it comes to age gap relationships, why the hell does it matter?" 

      I clench my fists out of frustration and then unclench them once I realize that I'm scaring Amelia slightly. I lean over and kiss her on the forehead. "I'm sorry honey, I didn't mean to alarm you. I'm just trying to work through my emotions." She gently kissing me back on the cheek. "It's okay Kai. You've very brave for finally addressing this in a therapy session in depth. I'm extremely proud of you and love you so much. You've made the happiest I've been in a long time so from the bottom of my heart, I thank you for that Kai Bartley." I crack a small smile. "I love you too Amelia Shepherd. Before I met you, I was quite close to throwing in the towel. Despite my dedication to my work, I've been so depressed and lonely. I shut off most of my feelings, shoved the prospect of love deep down inside. You came along and messed that game plan up, which I thank you for by the way." 

         My therapist then asks me about how Amelia and I first met. I explain to her about the clinical trial that she assisted Meredith with and how when I first laid eyes on her in Minnesota a few months ago, I just knew that I had to make her mine. Truly, I fell in love with Amelia the very moment I laid eyes on her. I just knew she was special and worthy of being loved. My therapist is named Martha and she's the sweetest middle aged lady I know. She embodies the spirit of what I long for in my mother. We did have a decent relationship overall during my childhood, but it all went to shit once I hit my teenage years. I tried so hard to be the perfect child in both of my parents' eyes, trying to please them in every aspect. Despite how hard you try with some people, I did eventually realize that it's not always enough. You just can't please some people and you know what, that's okay. 

        Even though I still miss having a relationship with my parents and long to reconnect with them, I'm not chasing after people that don't want anything to do with me. I made a fool of myself for the first year after they banished me from the family. I would call, email, and text them near daily and after a year of no responses, I did finally give up. I deserve better than the cold shoulder they've given me for five consecutive years. After all this time, I'm learning how to love myself. It definitely helps that I have such a loving partner now. Amelia Shepherd is my angel that saved me from literally hurling myself off of a cliff.