Breathless

Breathless

Kai's POV

    I'm trying my absolute hardest to fight through my nerves... but I'm so damn nervous. David Hamilton and I are making our way into Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital for the first time to meet two legends, both of which we will be collaborating with on some upcoming medical projects. The legendary Meredith Grey and her sister Amelia Shepherd. I clutch onto my hot cup of coffee as David makes small talk in the elevator. I think he senses my nerves because he gently rubs my shoulder, a gesture to reassure me that everything is going to be just fine. 

      Right when we step off of the elevator, I nearly collide into a middle-aged nurse named Pam. I apologize to her and avoid her dirty facial expression before following David down a few hallways to a meeting room. He enters first and I follow close behind him. David immediately throws his arms around Meredith and Amelia (he's met them before but I haven't) as you can tell from my obvious nerves. I've seen Meredith in pictures from a few medical articles, but I've never seen a picture of Amelia. I smile shyly at Meredith and shake her hand. When I make eye contact with Amelia, my heart absolutely stops.

      Amelia bites her lip and smiles at me, offering her hand for me to shake. It takes a moment to snap out of my trance long enough to shake her hand before going back to my goofy state. Being ridiculously tall doesn't help that cause either. David nudges me on the arm playfully. "I apologize for Kai right now. They are not normally this nervous around new people, but they apparently seem to be attracted to your sister Meredith." Meredith is smirking at Amelia and both Amelia and I are blushing and gawking at each other like shy teenagers. Meredith then turns to David and says "I think we should give them a moment before we have our meeting. What do you think David?" He nods in agreement and I watch him and Meredith leave Amelia and I to our own vices.

       I bite my lip and fidget with my hands. "Amelia, I apologize for David. He's always had a tendency to be blunt, but that was a new extreme, even for him." She flashes me the most breathtaking smile and all of my breath has escaped my body. I just can't function right around Amelia and I've only known for her a couple of minutes. "It's okay Kai. I'd be flattered if someone has attractive as you found me to be attractive." My face is on fire as I stare at her in shock. "R-Really?" She nods and bites her lip. "Really. We obviously need to get to know each other so how about we do so after our group meeting?"

      The hot cup of coffee in my hand has officially splattered to the floor and it ends up making a huge mess because I've gotten lost in her blue eyes that remind me of the ocean. Amelia giggles and immediately begins wiping up my mess. I bend down and help her out. As I do, I get a close up look at her beauty and I'm convinced that I'm going to fall in love with her. I also feel her breath on the back of my neck and it takes nearly all of my willpower not to kiss her right here and now. She's correct though, we do need to get to know each other and enjoy each moment of the journey. I just have to trust the process and not doubt myself like I often do...